Dartmouth Tops Harvard five; Worst Cage Season Since 1962

Dartmouth's basketball team used a tenacious zone defense and deadly outside shooting to hand Harvard an 83-71 loss last night in the season finale for the Crimson. The loss dropped Harvard's record to 7-18, the poorest since the 1962-63 season.

The Crimson kept the score close in the first half and trailed by only six points at halftime--39-33. But the Indians pulled away in the second half as four Harvard starters--Ernie Hardy, Chris Gallagher, Eric Gustavson, and Bob Kanuth--fouled out. Dartmouth ran its lead to 16 points at one time during the half.

Tallies

Sophomores Dale Dover and Mike Janczewski both tallied 19 points to lead the Crimson. Dover, the team's leading scorer this season, also pulled down 11 rebounds to lead Harvard in that department. However, Dartmouth's Alex Wynn was the game's outstanding players, tallying 30 points and 13 rebounds.

The loss gives Harvard a seventh-place Ivy finish, topping only Ivy doormat Brown, while Dartmouth finishes sixth. The seventh-place finish was the worst for a Harvard team since the 1955-56 season, when the team's record was 3-11.

The Crimson freshman team offered bright hopes for the future, however as its squeaked past Dartmouth in a 106-100 free-for-all. The game was high-lighted by numerous technical fouls on both teams, but technicals had little effect on either team's shooting hand. The win gave the Yardlings a final season record of 13-3.