Dean Glimp Gains Victory in Race For School Committee in Belmont

Dean Glimp has won an easy victory in his race for a seat on the Belmont School Committee.

In voting Monday marked by a large turnout, Glimp, a Belmont resident, won by a 2000-vote margin over fellow townsman William R. Morrison Jr. '51. Glimp is a member of the Democratic Town Committee, but ran without party affiliation in the non-partisan election. He will serve a one-year term on the six-member board. Complete returns were not available until early yesterday morning due to the snowstorm.

Glimp has been an acting member of the School Committee since last March, when he was appointed to a vacant post by the School Committee and the Board of Selectmen.

In the spring of 1967, the town high school burned down. Since Glimp's appointment, the Committee has launched an extensive building program which includes the construction of a new four-year high school and the remodeling of the old junior high to form a middle school for grades six, seven, and eight.

Took a Fire

As a committeeman, Glimp helped formulate and implement the new plans. In his campaign for the committee, he criticized its past inaction, charging that "it took a fire in the high school" to produce a solution to the overcrowding in the schools.

In his year in office, Glimp will attend regular weekly meetings. The School Committee has jurisdiction over the financial affairs of the School Department. According to Gordon Seavey, editor of the Belmont Citizen, the committee's principal concern at present is the construction program. When it moves on to other problems, Seavey think Glimp's presence will help it move in a progressive direction.