Two Awards Presented To Diver Bill Murphy

By Bennett H. Beach

Bill Murphy won two awards, and captain Marty Chalfie and Steve Krause earned one apiece at Tuesday evening's swimming team banquet at the Varsity Club.

Murphy, perhaps the best three-meter driver in the East, won the William J. Brooks Trophy for the third consecutive year. The trophy is named for the present Harvard head coach and is presented "to the diver who contributes the most to the success of Harvard's swimming team." Murphy was the Eastern Seaboards champion two years ago, but finished fourth this winter.

Assistant coach Benn Merritt presented the Crimson's star diver with the Stowell Trophy, "given to the senior who through perseverance, diligence, and untiring self-sacrifice, has most improved during his collegiate career."

Most Awards

Murphy, whose career was threatened last year by an injury suffered when he hit his head on the board in the Yale meet, has now won four post-season awards, more than any Harvard swimmer in history.

Chalfie was the recipient of the Harold S. Ulen Trophy, named in honor of Harvard's great former coach. It is awarded "to a senior on the Harvard team who best demonstrates those qualities of leadership, sportsmanship, and team cooperation as exemplified by Harold S. Ulen." This honor almost always goes to the team captain. Chalfie swarm the butterfly.

Floyd Wilson, director of Intramural Athletics, was on hand to present the Eugene B. Wyman Trophy for the most points scored to sophomore Krause. His total of 95 3/4 points is the highest since Chouteau Dyer tallied 105 1/4 in 1957.

Krause, who formerly held three American records and one world mark, swam in almost every event on the program this season. He also has set three Harvard records, all of which he still holds.

High Points

Captain-elect Mike Cahalan, and Murphy, were also high in the point standings. Cahalan scored 81 1/2 points, while Murphy totaled 80.

The winners of the four awards were selected by a committee of five persons, including the coaching staff--Brooks, Merritt and Harold Miroff.

The Friends of Harvard Swimming presented an award, too. Frank B. Holand, who is not connected with the University, was the recipient of this prize, which recognizes "noteworthy performance" in the sport. Holland has been a National Red Cross water safety instructor in the New England area for over 35 years.