Tennis Team Blanks Williams, 9-0; Harvard's 1st Shutout This Season

By Samuel Z. Goldhaber

The Harvard tennis team chalked up its first shutout of the season with a 9-0 victory over Williams. The Crimson won seven of its nine matches in straight sets.

The contest was held Saturday indoors at the Palmer-Dixon courts, and the Ephmen, who will not have indoor tennis courts until next Septembers, never quite adjusted.

Williams was also at a disadvantage because three of the six starters in the singles were sophomores.

Harvard's number six man, Steve Devereaux, was the only who had trouble in the singles. He staged a strong comeback against his sophomore challenger to win 2-6, 6-1, 6-2.

Number two man Rocky Jarvis topped his opponent 6-1, 6-2. Terry Oxford also won 6-3, 7-5.

In other singles action, number one, captain John Levin, won 6-2, 6-4. Numbers four and five Larry Terrell and Bill Washauer defeated their men 8-6, 6-1, and 6-4, 6-0.

Doubles Win

The doubles also went easily for the Crimson team except for Washauer and John Nielsen who battled their men and came through on top 6-4 in the third set.

Levin and Jarvis, Clarke Kawakami and Bill Ball, won their matches in straight sets.

The tennis team faces Columbia next Friday in a match that should be a rout. The Crimson has never lost to the Columbia tennis team in a series that stretches back to the roaring twenties.