Bruner Explains Faculty's Intent

Jerome S. Bruner, professor of Psychology and author of the Faculty's April 17 ROTC resolution, said in a letter to the CRIMSON that the intent of the Faculty vote was to phase out ROTC, leaving "at most an undergraduate extracurricular group with none of the special privileges and facilities required by a regular ROTC operation."

The complete letter appears on page two of today's paper.

"It was not the intent of the Faculty to create a 'front' for the ROTC, but rather to make possible some sort of bridge between students and various service training functions to be carried on outside the University," Bruner said.

Dean Glimp was quoted in Rap-Up 2 as saying that the head of ROTC might have a position similar to that of the Director of Athletics. Bruner said that the Department of Athletics was not an example of the type of ordinary extracurricular activity that the Faculty was referring to in its resolution.

"The provision of Shannon Hall by the University even for a generous rent would be inconsistent with the principle" of the resolution, Bruner said.