Crimson Golf Team Seeks Sixth Greater Boston Win

While you are gulping down your Wheaties this morning, the Harvard golf team will be teeing off at 8 a.m. at the Concord Country Club, defending its Greater Boston Intercollegiate Golf Championship title.

The Crimson golfers--who have won the title five times since its inception in 1961--are hoping to be the first team to win the championship three consecutive years. Boston College is the only other team to have won the title two years in a row.

Besides B.C., the Crimson golfers will face teams from B.U., Northeastern, Tufts, Brandies, and M.I.T. These schools should not be difficult to defeat. However, in individual honors there are some stars on the other teams, notably Bill Crawley from B.c., who might speak into the top five spots.

The Greater Boston Intercollegiate Championship is medal play competition. Unlike match play, where individuals compete against similarly seeded players on the other teams, notably Bill Crawley from B.C., who might speak into the top five spots.

In last year's competition, Harvard beat B.C., its nearest competitor, by 50 strokes. Gone from last year's team is Bo Keefe, who took individual honors his junior and senior years. This year's team should not feel the loss of Keefe, however, since it has more depth.

Keefe did not win individual honors easily last seasons; he had to go into a sudden death playoff to beat his teammate, Joe Tibbetts. Tibbetts is back this year and he is hungry for individual honors.

Tibbetts, who has won all but one of his matches this year, has been playing even better golf than his record indicates. He has worked many hours to improve his driving off the tee and his putting, and was moved from his number seven position last year up to number four this season.

Tibbetts will not be the only Crimson golfer seeking first place individual honors. Captain Bruce LoPucki, who hasn't lost a match this year, has to be rated one of the best golfers in the New England area. "If his putting game is hot, no one can beat him," teammate Tibbetts said enviously.

Yank Heisler, playing in the number two position, has a good chance of surprising both Tibbetts and LoPucki. Heisler, who placed forth in the Greater Bostons last year, is one of the best medal players on the team.

Harvard will probably place all seven of its golfers in the top ten positions and, like last year, one of the golfers in the lower rungs could surprise everybody and steal individual honors.