SFAC to Study Apartment Rents; Will Wait to Act

The Student-Faculty Advisory Council voted yesterday to have its subcommittee on the University and the City study the problem of rents in Cambridge "with all possible dispatch."

The move came after Jesse Gill, chairman of the Mount Auburn Tenants Union, asked SFAC to help her group "get action." The union's members live in the Harvard-owned University Road apartments.

The Council also discussed Afro-American studies, ROTC, and the tactics of various student groups, but did not vote on any other motions or resolutions.

Roger D. K. Thomas, teaching fellow in General Education and vice-chairman of SFAC, said after the meeting, "It seems to be the opinion of the members that, at this point in time, SFAC is a useful forum for clarifying ideas, but that there is no sense in it passing resolutions that no one will notice."

Miss Gill said that she wanted SFAC to encourage the Faculty "to adopt a motion whereby implementation of the Wilson Report would be put in the hands of the Board of Overseers" instead of the Corporation. She also wanted SFAC's help in getting an invitation to address the Faculty.

Black Professors

During the discussion of the Afro-American studies program, Thomas F. Pettigrew, professor of Social Psychology, said, "The real problem is the race issue facing us at the Faculty level. I hope that adoption of the Afro program doesn't take the heat off of the search for black professors in all disciplines."

In a discussion of student tactics and the strike, Pettigrew said he thought that disruption of classes is now likely to become widespread and that only the students could limit it.

Barrington Moore Jr., lecturer on Sociology, said, "The more powerful element in SDS is trying to act responsibly" and has discouraged disruption.

After mention of radical dissatisfaction with the termination of the strike and with elections for the "Committee of Fifteen," Charles S. Maier, instructor in History, said "Radicals make hostages of the moderates and then are incensed when moderates make hostages of the left."