Golfers Eke Out Seventh Win, 4-3

After winning its first six matches by comfortable margins, the golf team eked out its seventh victory yesterday, defeating Cornell, 4-3.

The match was so close that Harvard could have lost if a Cornell golfer hadn't been generous and conceded a putt to number five man, Paul Oldfield.

Going into the 18th, Oldfield and Cornell's Bill Powers were even for the match. Both got onto the green in three. Oldfield had a ten foot putt for a par; Powers a six-footer. Oldfield tapped his putt too hard, sending it two feet past the pin. Powers gave him the putt--which is the usual and gentlemanly procedure. Powers, who must have anticipated an easy par and a victory, blew it. He three-putted the green and lost the match, one-up.

Jack Purdy, who was playing in the number one position for the day, downed his Big Red opponent in an easy match. He was only three over par for the 13 holes it took him to defeat Doug Surine.

In the Clubhouse

Captain Bruce LoPucki, who moved from his number one position to number six, had such an easy time of it that he was sitting in the clubhouse after the 12th hole. He defeated Paul Trause, 7 and 6. Joe Tibbetts, playing number four, defeated his opponent, one up.

Yank Heisler, after beginning the season with a fine run of wins, has been in a slump since the Penn match. Heisler lost to Doug Surine, 4 and 3. Heisler described his match as the "worst round of golf I've played in six years."