Double Eagle Leads Golfers In M.I.T. Win

A double eagle by captain Bruce LoPucki sparked the golf team to a 4-3 victory over the M.I.T. Engineers yesterday.

LoPucki and his opponent, Ben Small-nick, were tied going into the 450-yard par five, 16th hole. LoPucki hit a towering drive that landed 200 yards from the pin. Smallnick's drive from the tee and his shot from the fairway put him at the edge of the green in good position to birdie it.

Using his four iron. LoPucki hit a solid shot, which hit the ground a few feet from the pin and rolled into the cup for his double-eagle. He won the hole from the flabbergasted Smallnick, who dropped one more hole and lost the match, 2-up.

Barney Oldfield, playing in the number three position, shot a 78 to defeat M.I.T.'s Dan Anderson, 2 and 1. This was Oldfield's eighth consecutive win. Tommy Wynee, slated in the number five position for the first time this year, defeated Carl Williams, 2-up Wynne, shooting mostly pars and occasional birdies, finished up with a four over par 75.

Sophomore Steve Owen, playing in his number six position. had the largest Crimson advantage in the match. He walked off the course after the 16th hole, defeating Steve Light, 4 and 2. Owen, who triple-bogeyed the eighth hole twice during the Greater Boston last Tuesday, scored a birdie 3 on the hole.

Playing behind LoPucki, Jack Purdy took his match to the last hole before he lost, 1-down. He needed a five-foot putt to birdie the hole and win the match, but his put rolled to the pin and slid off the edge of the cup.

Yank Heisler showed signs of pulling out of his slump, but Greg Kask from M.I.T. was hot. Shooting one over par for the first fifteen holes. Heisler succumbed, 2 and 1. Number seven man Chris Gurry, playing in his first match of the seaon, could not overcome the course and his M.I.T. opponent at the same time. He posted the worst Harvard defeat, losing 5 and 4.