MBA Faculty Backs Students' Attendance Bid

The MBA Faculty of the Business School voted yesterday in favor of a Student Association proposal for student representation at MBA Faculty meetings and referred the proposal to the full Faculty which meets Thursday.

If the full Faculty approves the proposal, students will attend MBA Faculty meetings on a regular, continuing basis.

After a 90-minute debate, the MBA Faculty, which includes over 60 per cent of the full Business School Faculty, voted by a three-to-two margin to favor the Student Association proposal which asks that "five members of the Student Association Executive Board be invited to attend MBA Faculty Meetings in a nonvoting capacity."

In a separate vote, the MBA Faculty decided by a two-to-one margin to refer to the full Faculty the proposal from both the S.A. and the HarBus, the Business School newspaper, for representation at MBA Faculty meetings.

The most powerful committee of the MBA Faculty, the Policy and Operating Committee, had reported the S.A. proposal favorably. The POC report emphasized that the MBA Faculty may wish to invite certain student groups which are qualified to discuss a particular agenda topic.

The POC did not report the HarBus proposal favorably and "recommended against acceptance at this time." The POC report did suggest that the Administration "continue to develop with the HarBus methods of communicating Faculty actions promptly after each meeting."

Briefings

In accordance with the POC report, George P. Baker '25, dean of the Business School, approved a precedent-setting plan whereby the HarBus and the CRIMSON would be given in advance the agenda of both MBA and full Faculty meetings.

Baker has agreed to brief the HarBus and the CRIMSON after each MBA and full Faculty meeting.

The first briefing occurred yesterday. Baker said that the proposal for S.A. rep- resentation at MBA Faculty meetings raised two major issues:

* whether S. A. representation would "slow down free discussion";

* whether S.A. members, whose duties include overseeing all student social activities, are fit to represent Business School students at Faculty meetings.

Also participating in yesterday's briefing were Charles J. Christenson, professor of Business Administration; John B. Matthews, professor of Business Administration; and John A. Seiler '51, assistant dean for the MBA program