Stickmen Upset, 9-6 By Weak Dartmouth

By Bennett H. Beach

The varsity stickmen presented Harvard's athletic gift of the year to Dartmouth yesterday, dropping at 9-6 decision at Hanover. The loss enabled the Indians to win their first Ivy game since they beat the Crimson by the same score in 1966, and Harvard thus missed a golden opportunity for a piece of the league crown.

Harvard played a poor brand of lacrosse most of the afternoon, but it was a devastating third period, in which Dartmouth outscored the Crimson. 5-0, that made a comeback by Harvard dubious. "We handed them the ball game," coach Bruce Munro said. "We just didn't hustle, and failed to control the ball in the middle of the field," he added.

No Title

While Dartmouth was scoring this major upset, Cornell and Yale were also turning in surprise victories to completely clutter the Ivy race. The Big Red edged Brown, 8-7 and Princeton was upset for the second week in a row, 6-4 by Yale. If the Crimson had beaten Dartmouth, it probably would have ended up in a three-way tie with Brown and Princeton for the title. But Harvard is now eliminated because of its three losses.

Harvard looked anemic in the first period, and Dartmouth took advantage of the situation to earn a 2-0 lead. The second quarter was more encouraging, though not impressive, as the Crimson began to control play, especially near the end of the half and grabbed a 3-2 halftime edge.

Ince Starts

John Ince picked a high bouncer out of the air and passed to Bruce Regan, who fed to Jim Kilkowski, 15 yards from the net. Kilkowski bounced it in for Harvard's first goal after 25 minutes of play. Ince put in an easy shot two minutes later on an assist from Phil Zuckerman, and soon afterwards Zuckerman put in a goal over his back after receiving a pass from Cle Landolt.

Then came the disasterous third quarter. The Indians' Carl Andros, using a deep stick, rolled in one goal. Another one scored as players fought for the ball in front of the Crimson net, and Dartmouth's fifth tally came on a mysterious shot which went in as the cage came loose from its anchorings. The next two scores were more orthodox, and the Indian led, 7-3.

Key Saves

Several timed during the period, Harvard had been on the attack, but key saves by goalie Pete Harter, particularly one on a high, hard shot by captain Tom Nicosia, prevented a score. Munro felt that these saves were the real heart-breakers and made him more doubtful of a comeback by his team.

Ince tallied twice and Zuckerman once in a futile last-quarter rally; but Andros and Charlie Silcox registered goals for Dartmouth to clinch the win.

Dartmouth's passing is not one of its trademarks, and the Indians had only four assisted goals, but Harvard's passing was inordinately weak Saturday, and the situation wasn't helped any since the Big Green picked up most of the ground balls. Another rarity was Dartmouth's superiority in center-draws.

One bright spot was the scoring performance of Ince. His three goals moved him one ahead of Princeton's Pete Johnsen, who had to settle for two goals and no assists. If Ince maintains his lead, he will win the scoring crown for the second year in a row