Cliffies May Cut Prepaid Lunches From Meal Plan

Radcliffe students may decide to eliminate lunch from their board contracts next year.

A plan to offer lunches in the dorms, Lehman Hall, and the Graduate Center on a cash basis only, and a consequent $85 board cost reduction, was announced last week by Radcliffe Administrative Vice President J. Boyd Britton.

The plan will go, into effect only if Radcliffe students want it to, according to Britton.

"We will be glad to make the change if the students want it, but we have left it to RUS to find out how the students feel," he said.

RUS President Ellen Messer was not available last night to specify procedure RUS would use to determine student opinion.

Lunch a la Carte

Under the proposed plan, lunches would be served on weekdays for cash only in as many Radcliffe dining halls as are needed. Service would be cafeteria style with "all items at a la carte prices, reasonable for a university community," Britton said.

The new board contract would substitute a 14-meal $585 contract for the present 21-meal $670 board contract. The 14-meal contract would include breakfast and dinners on Monday through Friday plus brunches and dinners on Saturday and Sunday.

Britton said that $85-per-student reduction is about the same as the amount the dining halls will save by not serving lunch. The dining halls are trying not to take a loss or make a profit under the proposed change, he said.