Freund's Committee Meets Today for the First Time

By Samuel Z. Goldhaber

The special committee of five senior faculty members investigating misconduct of Corporation appointees during and following the University Hall occupation will meet for the first time this morning.

The committee's chairman--Paul A. Freund, Carl M. Loeb University Professor--said last night that the committee will meet this morning to discuss its scope and procedure.

Freund added that he accepted this committee's chairmanship rather than a seat on the Committee of Fifteen because, when comparing the burdents, he found that it was "a much more limited assignment."

The committee's official duty is "to collect information and establish the facts concerning questions of possible misconduct of members of the Harvard University Hall and other subsequent events."

Committee member Don K. Price, dean of the John Fitzgerald Kennedy School of Government, said it is his personal understanding that the committee will act as a "grand jury" rather than a "trial court."

Price emphasized that he envisions the committee as having a different role from the Committee of Fifteen, which has some authority to discipline students.

Price explained that the new committee will not have the authority to discipline Corporation appointees. Instead, he said there will probably be a two-stage procedure, in which the five-man committee will first "find the facts and bring them to the Corporation."

Then the Corporation--which has ultimate power to discipline or dismiss its appointees--"will presumably set up another committee," Price said.

Another committee member--Paul M. Doty, Mallinckrodt Professor of Biochemistry--said that the group will have to work out some arrangement for investigating teacher fellows who are also graduate students, since they also fall under the jurisdiction of the Committee of Fifteen.

Doty and Price said that Pusey had personally contacted them before appointing them to the committee. Committee member Robert W. Austin, Charles Edward Wilson Professor of Business Administration, said that Pusey has not spoken to him about the appointment and that George P. Baker '25, dean of the Business School, had asked him to serve.

The fifth committee member, Edwin O. Reischauer, University Professor, was out of town last night and could not be reached for comment.