Ananis Is Recipient Of Lacrosse Award

By Benito Playa

Mike Ananis was selected as the winner of the Class of 1959 Award, and Bruce Regan was chosen as next year's captain at the season-ending meeting of the lacrosse team in Dillon Field House yesterday afternoon.

Both decisions were reached by vote of the 20 letter-winners and coach Bruce Munro.

Ananis, first team all-Ivy and third-team All-American last spring, won the award which goes "to the senior who has through his enthusiasm for the game shown consistent improvement and the highest degree of sportsmanship, determination, team play, and keen competitive spirit in keeping with the traditions of Harvard athletics."

Ananis, who also lettered two years as a cornerback on the football team, was the only truly experienced player left on defense after injuries put the other three out of action. He worked mostly with three sophomores, and the foursome developed into a solid unit.

In addition to being elected captain, Regan was also recognized as the winner of the ground ball prize, Regan beat out linemate and center-drawer Jim Kilkowski for the honor, after Kilkowski had won it the last two years. Also noted was John Ince, who was the team's scoring leader again. he led the Ivy League, too.

Regan will be replacing Tom Nicosia, who served as captain for two years. Regan, honorable mention all-American last spring, was also captain of the freshman team two years ago. "Bruce is one of the finest lacrosse players we've had at Harvard in a long time," Munro said.