Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

200 Arrested on Berkeley Campus; One Killed at North Carolina A & T

BERKELEY, Calif.--Riot-ready National Guardsmen surrounded and arrested some 200 "people's park" demonstrators Thursday in downtown Berkeley. No one was hurt.

The prisoners were booked on "field arrest" cards and herded into Alameda County sheriff's vans which ferried them to Santa Rita Prison, the county lockup.

The arrests were made after guardsmen warned the demonstrators they were violating Gov. Ronald Reagan's emergency order banning marches and assemblies in Berkeley.

About 300 troops trapped them in an alley as they were marching around, reportedly looking for another "people's park" site.

Earlier Thursday, University of California President Charles Hitch said the responsibility for tactics in the weeklong "people's park war" lay with the sheriff.

"I deeply regret that those in authority decided that certain tactics were necessary to protect persons and property," Hitch said.

Black Student Killed

GREENSBORO, N.C.--One Black student was killed as snipers and police exchanged gunfire on the North Carolina A & T University campus last night. Dr. Lewis C. Dowdy, president of the university, ordered the school closed.

The shootings at the university began Wednesday night after police used tear gas to disperse students of a nearby high school, who had protested the conduct of a recent class election.

All school activities are being suspended except the baccalaureate-commencement convocation which will be held as scheduled, June 1.

About 200 National Guardsmen were in the city Thursday, along with local and county officers and state highway patrolmen.

Willie J. Grimes, the dead student, was struck in the back of the head by a small-caliber bullet in a dormitory.

Dowdy said that dormitories and dining halls would be closed at 6 p.m. Friday and he urged all students to make immediate preparation to leave the campus.