Students Receive 'Findings of Fact' From Hearings of Committee of 15

The Committee of 15 has sent out "findings of fact" to students who failed to appear for their hearings, Alan E. Heimert, Master of Eliot House and official spokesman for the Committee, revealed yesterday.

The purpose of these letters, which list specific charges against each student, is to provide an opportunity for appeal, Heimert said.

According to the "Procedure in Disciplinary Hearings" published by the Committee, every student charged will be allowed to appeal either by requesting another hearing, or by filing a written statement.

However, an SDS spokesman said last night that it is unlikely that students who have been boycotting the hearings all along will now appeal. SDS opposes the Committee as "illegitimate," and demands no punishment on the grounds that any action taken fighting for the seven demands is fully justified.

Heimert said yesterday that "a small number" of the students charged have appeared for their hearings despite the SDS boycott. He did not disclose the exact number.

The "findings of fact" give each student the exact details of his hearing as well as the charges against him. Evidence used, according to a letter received by Nathan L. Goldshlag '71, includes documents of general information (in this case presented by Archibald Cox, Samuel Williston Professor of Law), photographs, written statements, and oral testimony. A sound tape was also made of each hearing.

The most common charges are active participation in the seizure of University Hall and remaining in the building despite instructions to leave. Others include various acts of ejecting deans from the building, going through University files, and, in the case of Marjorie A. Angell '71, "directing and inciting male students to use force against deans and other University figures whom she personally designated" and "addressing obscene and abusive language to Dean Glimp."

Heimert said last night that he didn't know how many "findings of fact" had been sent out.

At least seven other students are known to have received letters besides Golshlag and Miss Angell. They are: John C. Berg a graduate student; John T. Berlow '71; James T. Kilbreth '69; Mark Y. Liberman '69; Carl D. Offner, a grad student; Stuart R. Soloway '70; and Michael H. Schwartz, a grad student.

Meanwhile, petitions demanding no expulsions or suspensions were presented to Heimert yesterday with 2515 signatures. Heimert said that he would bring the petition before a full committee meeting today, and would try to arrange for the three students who gave him the petition--Robert A. Hicks '71, Deborah B. Johnson '71, and Mark A. Faller '71--to appear before the Committee next week.

All hearings should be completed by the middle of next week, Heimert said.