Baseball Team Defeats Princeton, 10-4

SEVENTY-FIVE YEARS AGO TODAY

After the wretched exhibition of ball playing of last Saturday the game which the nine put up yesterday was a surprise and relief to everyone. It showed that when forced to it Harvard can play good ball. For the most part the fielding was clean and brisk and the batting was sharp and timely. Highlands pitched a good cool game, allowing but three men bases on balls and keeping Princeton down to seven scattered hits. His base running in the fifth inning was one of the features of the game. Scannell was a little unsteady at times, muffing two third strikes and letting in a run by a wild throw over Dickinson's head. Dickinson and Cook both played steady games, neither making an error and both having a base hit to their credit. Whittemore's batting was excellent as he made three hits out of four times at bat, but his fielding was rather poor. In the sixth inning his fumble and poor throw to first allowed Payne to reach second, and in the eighth by muffing Corbett's throw he failed to put Trenchard out. Winslow's fielding was remarkably good. Besides a brilliant unassisted double play in the eighth inning he made three put outs and two assists. His only error in failing to field Mackenzies hot grounder was an excusable one. The outfield had little to do, Wiggins having two put outs and O'Malley one; however, the batting of Wiggin and Corbett together netted four runs.

The batting order of the nine received a general shaking up and this change combined with the individual batting of the team, did much towards winning the game for Harvard. The nine had no trouble in batting Altman and at the end of the fourth inning he retired and Bradley took his place. For one inning he was wild and unsteady but after that he settled down and only one hit was made off him.

In the seventh inning King retired owing to an injury to his leg, which was spiked in the fifth, and Mackenzie came in from left field to second, while Trenchard took Mackenzie's place in left.

For Princeton, Otto at first and Brooks at second played the best ball.

Princeton came to the bat first but for three innings could do nothing against Highland's pitching. In the fourth King flied out to Winslow. Then Ward reached first on a safe hit over second base. MacKenzie hit to Cook, who fielded Ward out at second. Whittemore threw low too low for Dickinson to catch Mackenzie at first and thus a chance for a double play was lost. Otto's three base hit to left field brought Mackenzie home, and the side was then retired by Altman's striking out. In the fifth, Brooks and Gunster struck out and Williams fouled out to Scannell. In the sixth Payne reached second on a wild throw of Whittemore over Dickinson's head. King then hit to Winslow who fielded Payne out in trying to reach third. Ward then hit to Whittemore, who touched King and threw Ward out at first.

Meanwhile Harvard had made nine runs. In the first inning Whittemore hit safely, reached second on an error by Altman, who made a wild throw of Cook's hit, and got third on a passed ball. Dickinson fouled out to Payne. Scannell hit to short, who threw Whittemore out at the plate; then Wiggin flied out to shortstop.

In the second Winslow was retired on a short hit to Altman. O'Malley got his base on balls, reached third on a wild throw by Altman an scored on Corbett's single. Corbett stole second and reached home on a hit by Whittemore. Highland's flied out to centre and Cook was thrown out at first.

No runs were made in the third, but in the fourth O'Malley got his base on balls, then scored on Corbett's three base hit to centre field. Corbett then scored on a wild pitch. Highland's reached first on an error by short, got second on Whitemore's safe bunt, went to third on Cook's sacrifice and scored on Scannell's hit which also brought Whittemore in from second.

Winslow started off the fifth by a base on balls, reached third on two passed balls and came home on Highland's hit. O'Malley fouled out and Highlands scored. Whittemore got third on a passed ball and come home on Cook's hit. No more runs were made in this inning or the next and with the 9 to 1 against them Princeton came to the bat in the seventh.

Mackenzie flied out to Cook. Otto got his base on balls and reached second on Bradley's hit. Scannell in trying to put Bradley out at first threw wild and Otto scored, Bradley reaching third. Brooks make a hit and Bradley came home. Things began to look doubtful, but Williams flied out to Winslow and Payne to O'Malley and the inning was ended.

In the eighth Trenchard hit safely and reached second owing to Whittemore's muff of Corbett's throw. Ward then knocked a hot liner to Winslow, who made a beautiful catch and, running to second, reached there before Trenchard, who had started for third, could return.

Princeton made one more run in the ninth inning. Brooks reached first on a hit. Williams hit to Highlands, who threw him out at first, and Brooks reached second on the play and came home on Gunster's hit.

In the eighth inning Cook got first on balls, stole second, went to third on an error by Williams and reached home on Wiggin's two -bagger. Dickinson flied out to centre. Scannell struck out, and Winslow flied out to short.