Nine Romps Over Chiefs In 18-3 Win

At the beginning of the season, this year's freshman baseball squad was known as "the year after" team. Last year's nine averaged more than ten runs a game and was the first undefeated Yardling team since 1900.

While Harvard baseball fans talked about the class of '71, the '72 squad went out and averaged more than 12 runs a game and remained undefeated through, seven matches by trouncing Brown 21-6 on Monday and then walloping Springfield yesterday 18-3.

In the game with Springfield, right-hander George Crace went the distance for his third straight win, striking out 11 and walking only four. Mike Thomas had four hits and three RBI's, and Harvard Lee smashed a triple and a double to drive in three more scores.

The Yardling squad provided the margin of victory in the sixth inning when they sent 17 batters to the plate to score 12 runs. Thomas starred in the inning with a double and single, and second baseman Vince McGugan, presently hitting .462, contributed two hits and two runs.

Against Brown earlier in the week, Jerry Fruetel won his second game as Lee and Toby Harvey both batted in five runs. The 21 run output is the team's largest this year.

Season hitting statistics for the Yardling squad read like batting practice reports. The entire team has seven home runs, nine triples, and twelve doubles in the seven games. Joining McGugan in the .400 club are captain Tim Bilodeau, leading the team at .474, and shortstop Art Serrano with a .424 average.

This afternoon at 3 p.m. the Yardlings team goes back into action against the squad from Exeter. The game originally was scheduled for last month but was rained out and rescheduled.