As Did "Harvard and the City,'

mittee on Education Policy admitted that Colonel Pell had submitted a long memo warning the CEP that the elimination of ROTC at Harvard would be "a national disaster of real proportions." But the CEP's secretary, Edward T. Wilcox, denied that the CEP position on ROTC was in any way influenced by Pell's memo. Wilcox said he drafted the CEP resolution and that he "didn't even read" Pell's statement.

President Pusey and other administrators offered retorts to John Kenneth Galbraith's published attack on the Harvard governing system. Pusey said Galbraith's article was "wrong on just about everything," and especially in its suggestion that the Faculty choose Harvard deans. Pusey said that the Corporation should make administrative appointments because it was able to weigh "a wider range of relevancies."

The HUC voted to revive a petition supporting leniency for Paine Hall demonstrators. The petition collected nearly 1000 signatures when it was circulated before Christmas vacation.

January 12: One hundred teaching fellows signed a petition saying they would strike if Paine Hall demonstrators were suspended. But the list of petition signers remained a secret, as those who circulated the petition said they would release the names only if it become "necessary to get a strike organized."

Reports about probable punishment recommendations began to filter out from the Ad Board. Unidentified Faculty members said that the Ad Board would probably recommend separate treatment for the students involved in both Paine Hall and the 1967 Dow demonstration. But other sources said that the Ad Board would simply propose probation for al students involved.

Sixteen Harvard biologists sent a letter to various Senators asking them to reject Water Hickel as the new Secretary of the Interior. The letter said that Alaska governor Hickel was now qualified and that his presence would be "a serious liability" to conservation efforts.

January 13: The special Committee on the University and the City released its report on Harvard-Cambridge relations. The committee, chaired by James Q. Wilson, said the University should appoint a new administrative vice-president to co-ordinate community affairs and that Harvard should step up its efforts to ease Cambridge's housing and unemployment problems.

Residents of the Harvard-owned building where Jane Britton was killed filed a criminal suit charging that the University ignored laws requiring locks on apartment house doors. The tenants claimed that Harvard had installed a few locks only after the still-unsolved murder of Miss Britton.

January 14: The Faculty overruled the Ad Board's recommendation that the five students involved in both Paine Hall and Dow demonstrations be "Required to Withdraw" from the college. Instead, the Faculty placed those five on probation along with the 52 other Paine Hall demonstrators and suspended the "required to Withdraw" sentences until the five students graduated: Faculty members disagreed on the exact meaning of the Faculty's action. Some claimed it was a repudiation of an "overly-harsh" stand by the Ad Board, while others said that it was no repudiation at all, since the Ad Board was not empowered to recommend the kind of suspended sentences the Faculty approved.

The Faculty also tried to deal with one of the issues behind the sit-in--student attendance at Faculty meetings. After tabling a motion to reaffirm the traditional closed-meeting polity, the Faculty decided to spend its January 21 meeting discussing possible changes in the policy.

January 15: Even though the special committee report on Afro-American studies had not yet been released, the CEP met and accepted nearly all the recommendations in the unpublished report. The CEP approved plans for a degree program in Afro-American Studies, a student center for Harvard and Radcliffe blacks, and a committee to revamp African studies. Dean Ford also asked black students to choose three representatives for a new committee to look for Faculty members in the Afro-American studies program

The Radcliffe Judicial Board, after a three-hour meeting, voted not to sever any of the Cliffies who demonstrated in Paine Hall. But the Board revealed no details about the punishment plan it had accepted, saying that it wanted to contact the 21 Cliffie demonstrators first.

The Freshman Union showed tentative signs of letting Cliffies eat inter house lunch there, but President Pusey said that more ambitious plans for co-ed living were impossible as long as Harvard and Radcliffe were separate colleges. Pusey said that the Harvard Faculty of Arts and Sciences would have to have full control over Cliffies before it could let them live in any Harvard houses.

A poll of ROTC students at Harvard showed that one per cent favored quick "escalation for victory" in Vietnam, while 79 per cent said they would like to see immediate U.S withdrawal or some policy more dovish than current American policy.

January 16: Trying to prepare a recommendation for the Faculty's next special meeting, the SFAC approved a resolution calling for student attendance at Faculty meetings. Under the system SFAC sponsored, specific portions of the meetings would be open to student groups who asked to attend. Meanwhile, officers of several, of those student groups--the HUC, the HRPC, the SFAC, and others--said they would hold a symposium on student power during inter session and probably come up with a plan for merging their groups into one new student government organization.

January 19: President Pusey, repeating his earlier stand, turned down a request by Mrs. Bunting and several House Masters for a co-ed living exchange. The Masters of Winthrop House and Radcliffe's new Currier House asked Pusey whether the two houses could exchange students when Currier opened in 1970. Pusey said no girls could live at Harvard, since Radcliffe was still administratively separate from the Harvard Faculty.

The Ford Foundation gave the Law School a $1 million grant to establish a Center for the Advancement of Criminal Justice, where policemen, judges, and other law enforcement officers could come and do research on problems of crime and justice.

January 21: At is special meeting on student participation, the Faculty appointed a committee to study the whole Faculty legislative process and adopted a plan to let some students into Faculty meetings while the committee worked on its report. The committee was give 90 days to produce a report of "the structure, procedures, and decision-making processes of the Faculty," and in the interim, Dean Ford was allowed to invite selected students to specific portions of Faculty meetings. The Faculty also postponed its several-times-interrupted ROTC meeting until February 4.

At Radcliffe, the Judicial Board finally revealed its punishment plan for the 21 Paine Hall Cliffies. The Board offered the girls a choice of two punishments--either going on probation for the Spring semester, or organizing and conducting panel discussions on "the Governance of the University."

The Radcliffe Admissions Office said it was making encouraging progress in attracting black students. The number of black applicants to the 'Cliffe was nearly twice as great as last year's, and the Admissions office said that its recruiting trips were convincing black girls to come to Cambridge.

The Faculty's special committee on African and Afro-American studies released its mammoth report and recommended that Harvard set up a degree-granting program in Afro-American Studies. The report--the product of nine months of work by chairman Henry Rosovsky and the other committee members--spent many pages discussing the "quality of black student life at Harvard" and suggested a new student center for blacks. In a section dealing with the graduate schools, the report said that Harvard should step up its recruiting of black graduates and should provide 15 to 20 special fellowships for blacks in the grad school.

January 23: Dean Ford, using his newly-granted power, invited students from three campus organizations to attend the Faculty's February 4 ROTC meeting, Ford asked the chairman of the HRPC, the HUC, and the SFAC to choose three representatives apiece.

Paine Hall demonstrators from the Divinity and Education Schools found out they would not be punished for sitting-in. The Divinity School asked its three demonstrators to attend a panel on the issues raised by the sit-on, while the four Ed School demonstrators simply got a letter from the school's dean saying he was "concerned about the inappropriateness" of the or action.

At the Design School, a new course called "An End to Urban Violence" met opposition from several students. The students said they objected to the course's "racist plans" for "simply dealing with the effects of riots and not considering the causes."

February

February 3: 700 Students turned out for a Faculty-sponsored convocation and heard the last public debate about the role of the military at Harvard before the Faculty's meeting on ROTC. Spokesmen from four groups ranging from SDS to ROTC summarized their arguments behind their groups' stands and then answered questions from the audience.

February 4: The Faculty voted to strip ROTC of its academic credit and take Corporation appointments away from ROTC instructors. By a 207-125 vote, the Faculty approved a five-point resolution from the SFAC which would take away appointments and credit, remove ROTC courses from the Faculty catalogue, end ROTC's rent-free use of Shannon Hall, and replace lost ROTC scholarships with Harvard money. By the same 200-125 margin, the Faculty rejected the CEP's proposal, which would have made individual ROTC courses apply for credit within existing departments. The other ROTC resolution presented--an SDS-supported plan to expel ROTC from Harvard--lost on a voice vote by a large 8-1 ratio.

The effect of the Faculty's vote was not immediately clear. Even though the removal of professional appointments might clash with existing laws, Colonel Pell said he would ask the Pentagon to keep the ROTC units here on a non-credit basis. Pell also pointed out that the Corporation's contract with Army ROTC required a one-year notice before either side could make changes in the ROTC arrangements.

February 5: The national director of Army ROTC, General C.P. Hannum, said that prospects for retaining ROTC at Harvard were "extremely good." Harvard said he was "sure we'll be able to work something out with Harvard."

Members of Afro and SDS joined the protest against the Design School's course on Urban Violence. Afro members said the course was "obviously designed to put down riots," and agreed to attend the first course meeting en masse. SDS published a leaflet saying that "students should demand that the course be cancelled."

F. Skiddy von Stade, the Master of Master House, said that the new House would probably have to open in sections next Fall because construction was lagging behind schedule. Von Stade said that about 100 of the House's 340 students could move in next September, but that 150 more would have to wait until November and the remaining 140 might have to live elsewhere until January 1970.

Mrs. Bunting called a special meeting of the Radcliffe Trustees to consider the co-ed housing issue. The Radcliffe College Council had earlier heard student arguments for co-ed dorms and had asked the Trustees for advice.

Hungarian diplomats told the U.S. State Department that Henrietta Blueye was almost free. The Hungarians said that Miss Blueye's six-month prison term for smuggling refugees out of Hungary would be up on February 11.

February 6: Harvard Afro formally requested the University to cancel the Design School course on Urban Violence. The Afro statement said that the course would "devise programs to further contain and suppress Black people" and asked students to boycott it. The man who planned to give the course--Siegfried M. Breuning, a visiting lecturer in Transportation--said that none of the protesting students had brought any of their complaints to him. Breuning said that the course's specific focus was still flexible and that he would talk with students at the first course meeting to see what approach they wanted to take.

The staff of Soc Sci 125--a course on "The American Economy: Conflict and Power"--petitioned the CEP for a hearing on the role of grades in their course and at Harvard in general. The Soc Sci 125 petition said that the grading system was "abhorrent," that it created "an undesirable reward structure," and that it promoted an authoritarian relation between students and teachers.

Proctors in the freshman dorms agreed to remove parietals sign-in books. Only when the freshman decision was announced did most upperclassmen realize that sing-in books in the Houses had been gone for three weeks.

February 7: After 85 black students marched into the first meeting of the Design School's Urban Violence course, the instructor agreed to call off the course and instead conduct a seminar on how to develop an urban studies program at Harvard. The blacks read a statement demanding that the Administration withdraw the course and saying "if the course is not stopped, we will seek to stop it." Siegfried Breuning, the instructor, then met with a smaller group of the students and worked out plans for the urban studies seminar.

The Soc Rel Department approved a controversial "activist" section of Soc Rel 149. The department said that Peace and Freedom Party members could lead a section on "Community Organizing: The Fight For Rent Control in Cambridge" as long as the section's emphasis was on "intellectual content" and the section did not become a tool of the rent-control movement.

February 9: As the Faculty prepared for its meeting on Afro-American studies, Dean Ford again invited students to the meeting. Ford asked Afro to choose five representatives to come to the meeting and discuss their views of Afro-American studies programs proposed by the Rosovsky committee report.

Several Harvard-connected figures joined the new-born fight against the ABM. Mrs. Bunting and Abram J. Chayes, professor of Law, were among 44 founders of the New England Citizens Committee on the Anti-Ballistic Missile. At the same time, another Faculty member went to Washington to join the Nixon administration. Paul W. Cherington, James J. Hill Professor of Transportation, followed John Volpe to the Transportation Department and became Assistant Secretary of Transportation for Policy and International Affairs.

February 10: The Harvard-Radcliffe Policy Committee belatedly asked the Faculty to include some students on its new committee studying Faculty organization. When the Faculty step up the committee at its January 21 meeting, it specifically rejected proposals to seat students as voting members. Merle Fainsod, the committee's chairman, said that only a special Faculty vote would allow him to add students now.

As part of a long-term drive to ease the shortage of doctors from minority groups, the Med School announced plans for a Health Careers Summer Program to begin this year. Med School dean Dr. Robert Ebert said that the program would take black, Spanish-speaking, and American Indian students from high schools and colleges and give them special medical training in an eight-week summer program.

February 11: The Faculty voted unanimously to approve the Rosovsky committee's recommendations on Afro-American studies at Harvard. On two specific votes, the Faculty accepted plans for setting up a degree program in Afro-American Studies and creating a committee to revise African studies. The Faculty then voted to approve "in principle" all the other Rosovsky recommendations--including plans for a black student center, a fellowship program for black graduate students, and a student-Faculty "search" committee that would try to find Faculty members for the Afro-American Studies department by next fall. Most of Rosovsky's proposals met little resistance, but several Faculty members said they were concerned about the "separatist" implications of the black student center.

In the closing minutes of its meeting, the Faculty tabled a motion dealing with scholarships of Paine Hall demonstrators. Stanley Hoffmann introduced the resolution, which asked the Administration not to reduce scholarships of students placed on probation for the Paine Hall sit-in.

William Liller, Master of Adams House, tried to bring an undocketed resolution up for discussion, but his attempt failed when he could not get the necessary four-fifths vote to consider the motion. Liller planned to present the HRPC request for student membership on the new Fainsod committee studying Faculty organizations.

February 12: The Radcliffe Admissions Office compiled final application figures and said that 175 black students--more than twice as many as last year's 80--had applied for admission. Total 'Cliffe applications were up 5 per cent, from 2158 to 2650. Harvard application figures showed a 10 per cent rise, from 7405 last year to 8266 this year.

After 16 years, the Legal Aid Bureau at the Law School passed a resolution condemning an action it took during the McCarthy-era attacks on Campus Communists. The resolution deplored the Bureau's 1953 decision to expel the Lubell brothers--two Law School students who refused to answer question before Senator Joe McCarthy's committee.

Henrietta Blueye got out of jail in Hungary.

February 14: F. Skiddy von Stade called off an experimental program for letting Cliffies eat in the freshman Un-