Coed Living Experiment Will Not Be Ready By Fall

By Deborah B. Johnson

If you were reading Henry James to wow the Cliffies living in your House as part of the coed living experiment suggested for September, forget it. It looks like the only girls living in the Houses will be doing so in the traditional way.

"All the administrative difficulties will probably prevent having it at the beginning of the year," Eli M. Noam '70, one of the organizers of the Adams-South House coed living plan, said recently.

Noam said that some students have been working with William Liller, Master of Adams House, and Richard R. Baxter, Master of South House, to draft a general coed-living proposal to be given to President of Pusey and Mary I. Bunting, president of Radcliffe. The proposal has not yet been completed.

No Estimate

Liller would not estimate the proposal's chances for approval. "The final decision is up to Mr. Pusey and the Corporation," he said.

If the proposal is approved, Noam said, "We'll try to have the exchange before the Spring term."

Genevieve Austin, the Radcliffe dean of Residence, said last night that she has spoken with some students about the plan. "If permission is given, it certainly can be done," she said.

Students in Adams House have been polling all the residents on their willingness to move. Noam said that 40 to 50 would move to Radcliffe, and over half were willing to relocate within the House to make room for the girls.

Although no thorough polls have been made at Radcliffe,"We'd have no problem filling those 40 to 50 places," Noam said