Joint Committee Gets Statement by Stauder

By Samuel Z. Goldhaber

Jack R. Stauder '61, instructor in Social Anthropology, appeared at a hearing yesterday morning before a Joint Faculty-Corporation committee. The Joint Committee met to consider disciplinary action against two Corporation appointees involved in the University Hall seizure who seek to renew their appointments.

The Committee held hearings on Stauder and a teaching fellow. A third teaching fellow who earlier wanted to renew his appointment has now decided to abandon this attempt. This case was dismissed.

The committee has made no final final decisions in Stauder's or the teaching fellow's case was postponed until August6.

The teaching fellow who wishes to renew his appointment "appeared in the company of his attorney and his department chairman and engaged in a frank exchange of views," according to the Joint Committee's statement which was released last night.

Stauder, who has two years remaining in a three-year contract, was the highest ranking Corporation appointee arrested in University Hall. He read a ten-paragraph statement to the committee and then left the hearing abruptly.

Before the hearing began, more than 30 demonstrators picketed and 40 by standers gathered outside President Pusey's office. Stauder read and distributed his statement before entering Massachusetts Hall.

Stauder, in his statement, demanded that "any 'hearings' be public and that they he held in the fall." The committee replied in the statement released last night that "neither a public hearing nor a postponement until the Fall team was justified.

The committee stated that, "A university committee unlike a court, has no way by the power of bailiffs or the use of contempt proceedings to protect itself against disruption or harrassment, not is there any precedent at Harvard for public meetings held to act on cases of possible Faculty misconduct."

The committee, although de3nying a public hearing, informed Stauder that he may once again request postponement but that his request "must be based on reasons other than those already considered and rejected."

Stauder said last night that he will not make another request because there are no "other reasons."

Stauder said to the Joint Committee that "my 'misconduct' is joining the fight against the ways Harvard serves imperialism, practices racism, and attacks the working class."

Michael Schwartz, who was required to withdraw for one year by the Committee of Fifteen, acted as Stauder's legal adviser and described the hearing to the SDSers and bystanders. According to Stauder, he chose Schwartz because Schwartz had served in jail.

Schwarts said, "there were two guards at the door and two tape recorders. We remained standing and refused to sit down. After reading the statement Stauder said 'I'm leaving now.' They said 'what?" We left them one copy of the statement."

Judith R. Kaufman '70 accompanied Stauder as his academic adviser.

The Joint Faculty-Corporation Committee is chaired by Corporation member William L. Marbury. The other committee members are R. Keith Kane '22--a Corporation member; Alan E. Heimert '49, associate professor of English; Roger Rosenblatt, associate professor of English; and James Q. Wilson, professor of Government.

Roger Brown, chairman of Stauder's department--Social Relations--was also present at the hearing