Speed Kills at the Track

By The Scientist

Class is a very hard quantity to define. Does Frank Sinatra have class? The Crown Prince of England? Does a Rolls Royce have more class than a Mark VII Jaguar? Does Jacqueline Onassis have class? How about Raquel Welch?

Horses which beat all comers at any distance have class. Except for a Man O' War who never is pushed to his limits, all horses have been extended to their best effort before the end of their three year old season. The classier the horse the faster he will run--when tested.

"When tested"--those are very key words. Too many patrons of the horses base their handicapping figures purely on speed figures. These losing Lennys and weeping Walters more often than not end up holding tickets on outclassed horses. The West Coast, traditionally a haven for speed handicappers, becomes a financially regarding turkey shoot for many skillful pace handicappers from the East during the winter months.

The speed handicappers--ah, pigeons--who frequent the race tracks can often be heard echoing the familiar Joe E. Lewis refrain by the end of the meeting. "I follow the horses, and the horses I follow.. . follow other horses." )Damon Runyon made Jules Fink and his colleagues famous by calling them the "speed boys." It was a mis-moniker. They were actually brilliant pace handicappers.)

A wonderful example of class versus speed can be seen in part in the past performances of Coup Landing. The morning Telegraph will publish his most recent dozen races in the Saturday's August 2 paper. The horse is to run in the feature race at Rockingham Park. In his last ten races against second-class sprinters found at the likes of Fort Eire, Greenwood. Hazel Park, Woodbine, Rockingham Park, and Detroit Race Course this horse established an admirable record of nine wins in nine attempts.

Ah yes, the other race. In the Rumson Handicap at Monmouth against some of the classier New York sprinters the animal gave up against class horses, knowing that it had been overmatched. Never better than fifth the entire race, the horse finished sixth, thirteen lengths in arrears. The loss was not the jockey's fault as the comment was--"well placed, tired." Last week the horse won by twelve lengths against a dismal Rockingham Park field. This Saturday Coup Landing faces another lackluster array of local talent with the exception of the Eddie Anspach trained Red's Copy who would show a touch of class in beating his horse--and Coup Landing will be favored to win again, if by a smaller margin.

Do not let the record fool you. The next time this horse is entered against a sharp classy New York sprinter with a seemingly mediocre record--beware! Indeed, MISTY RUN, a recruit from last year's Saratoga claiming ranks--a horse who has acquitted himself favorably against tough New York opposition--may fill the ticket.

Take route 93 north to Rockingham Park. If the selection is scratched, play the public favorite.

FIRST--BRISTO COUNTY showed signs of life in last race, worked a handy six furlongs recently, and reaches best stride over distance.

SECOND--MONMUMENTO II was given an easy race in last and should come to life today.

THIRD--RULLAMAR is only horse to have run in the money.

FOURTH--THREE WATERS should like tomorrow's fast track.

FIVETH--RUCKUS tries fro second win since leaving Belmont.

SIXTH--SEA NAIL was running against better fro bigger purses in New York.

SEVENTH--TWIST OF LEMON will have to run her heart out to beat these sturdy males.

EIGHTH-MILFORD FREDshould win if his bandages do not come loose again.

NINTH--STRATO KING has raced well against better.

TENTH--PANHADLE KANTAR was readied in spring for this route effort.