Cora Du Bois Retires; Was 'Cliffe Professor

Cora Du Bois, holder of the Zemurray-Stone-Radcliffe Professorship for distinguished women scholars, is retiring this summer from the Harvard Faculty, becoming Professor Emeritus.

She is an authority on the peoples of South and Southeast Asia, and has been affiliated with the Departments of Anthropology and Social Relations since 1954.

She will continue her study of the confrontation of modern and traditional values in the Indian city of Bhubaneswar. Miss Du Bois will also retain her appointment as Curator of South Asian Ethnology in the Peabody Museum.

Her anthropological studies have focused on the people of South and Southwest Asia and on the California Indians. She is known especially for The People of Alor (1944), a social-psychological study of primitive life on a small Indonesian island east of Java.

Before she joined the Harvard Faculty, Miss Du Bois was director of research for the Institute of International Education. For services in the Office of Strategic Services in Washington and Ceylon during World War II, she received the Army's Exceptional Civilian Service Award.

She is vice-president of the Association for Asian Studies, a member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, and is the current president of the American Anthropological Association.

She received the Achievement Award of the American Association of University Women in 1961, and she olds honorary degrees from Wilson College, Mills College, Mt. Holyoke College, and Wheaton College.

Her chair, the Doris Zemurray-Stone-Radcliffe Professorship, was established in 1918 for a distinguished woman scholar in any academic field. Helen Maud Cam, the authority on English constitutional history, was the first holder of the chair