Injuries Alter Soccer Line-up For Home Opener With Williams

By Robert W. Gerlach

"What are you doing Saturday afternoon?" asked varsity soccer coach Brace Munro. Though not pleading for spectators. Munro may have to find six replacements for the starting line-up against Williams at 2 p.m. today on Cumnock field.

Plagued. by injuries throughout practice this Fall. Munro has yet to see his starting eleven play as a unit. Six players. who did make it through pre-season unscathed, were injured in Thursday's 5-3 victory over Tufts.

Sophomore center fullback Chris Wilmot is definitely out of action with a pulled Achilles' tendon. Starting in his place will probably be another sophomore. Phil Axten.

Two donbtful starters are left half Chris Ferner and senior goalie Rich Locksley. Ferner was kicked in the back of the leg by a Jumbo player and now has a tight muscle. Either Bezo Cutler or John Gorden could replace him.

Kept out of Thursday's game for medical reasons. Locksley's absence from the team is an even greater problem to Munro since reserve goalie Bill Meyers has been sidelined with a swollen knee. If Meyers cannot play, starting right wing Jim Sawhill. who saw limited action in the goal last year, will move into the net.

Moving Sawhill off the front line creates even greate problems for Coach Munro. Right wing Russ Bell. originally scheduled to start the season at that spot. is still recovering from a tonsilectomy. He will dress for tomorrow's game, but it is unlikely that he will play more than a few minutes.

To add to Munro's headaches. both forwards Charlie Thomas and Phil Kydes were limping in practice yesterday as the result of misdirected Tufts' Kicks, Both sophomores are expected to play, but the extent of their handicaps is not known.

Munro has altered his offensive strategy completely. hoping to overcome the Crimson's ailments. Although maintaining the usual 4-3?3 formation. Munro plans to play center halfback Solomon Gomez as a forward on the line and install a third halfback to strengthen defensive play. Gomez scored two goals against Tufts and is no stranger to the forward line, a position he played all last season.

In addition. Munro will use the center fullback as a sweeper behind the outside fullbacks instead of the triangle defense he sent against Tufts.