Radcliffe Swimmers Put Down Northeastern

Mermen Are Brandeis Also Succumbs Ivy Leaders In Season's Opening Meet

By Richard D. Paisner

Due to efficient scheduling, Harvard is now in first place in the Eastern Swimming League with a 3-0 record.

The Crimson, one of five undefeated teams in the nine-team league, has fattened its record on meets with Army, Navy, and Columbia. The two service academies lost by surprisingly big margins, but the Columbia rout was expected.

Three With 2-0

Princeton Yale, and Dartmouth are right behind Harvard with 2-0 records. The other undefeated team, Penn, has had only one league meet.

A group of talented sophomores have combined their talents with those of the juniors who formed the nucleus of last year's team to get Harvard off to its fast start. The team has much more depth now, which allows swimmers who were overworked in last winter's meets to rest more in between their best events.

With this new strength. Harvard has a good chance to beat Dartmouth for the second straight year. The crucial meet is on February 14 in Hanover and opens a series of four Saturdays on which the Crimson competes against the four teams that are now unbeaten. A January 31 meet at Cornell should make Harvard 4-0 in the League going into the Dartmouth encounter.

Swimmers on 'Ten Best'

Harvard's Mike Cahalan and John Munk are still listed in the latest edition of the weekly set of the season's ten best collegiate times in each event. Earlier. Dan Kobick, Steve Krause, and Henry Watson were also included, but they have since fallen off as Harvard has entered the slack stage of its schedule.

Cahalan's 21.9 in the 50-free is second nationally, and Munk's 2:00.1 is seventh in the butterfly.

Spartan efforts by Julie Anderson and Kathy Fletcher helped Radcliffe to a stunning 42-38 win over Northeastern and Brandeis in the season's first meet last Tuesday at Northeastern.

Fletcher a junior, took firsts in the 50-yard butterfly and the 100-yard individual medley. Anderson was also a double winner with victories in the breaststroke at both 50 and 100 yards.

The win over the Huskies and the Judges came as a pleasant surprise to the Radcliffe swimmers who feared that they might have a much weaker team this year. Three of last winter's stars- Eleanor Hobbs., Kathy McBain, and Laurie Oliver- are no longer competing.

A strong performance in the opening event. the moldy relay, helped dispel these doubts. however Anne Yelland, Sandy Wallace, Janet Nadeau, and Emily Bryant stroked to a first and Fletcher upped the lead with her triumph in the butterfly.

Radcliffe ran up its point advantage in the next three events, with seconds by Yelland and Nadeau sandwiched around Anderson's narrow victory in 36.8 at 50 yards.

Trying to the End

Northeastern, striving to the end in hopes of a comeback, won the 200-yard freestyle relay. the final race, but was four points short of a tie.

Brandeis was even less fortunate. The Judges' three-member squad earned only 16 points mostly on strength in the freestyle

"It was incredible." said Nancy Davis. a student at Northeastern. "Those Radcliffe girls are built like bricks, and it seemed an unfair match up. What really gets me is how they can be such great swimmers and also be so smart, all at the same time." she added.

Last Year Better

Tuesday's narrow victory contrasted sharply with last year's opener. Led by Nadean, Anderson. and Hobbs, the Cliffies overwhelmed Northeastern, 54-23, allowing the Huskies only one first place.

After the exam break Radcliffe will seek to extend its victory streak in a home contest with Bradford Junior College.

Who is this man? He visited the Union two years ago. His high run is 153 balls in straight pool and 11 racks of nine ball. Can you play nine ball? He lived in the Taft Hotel in New York for five years and he played across the street at Guys and Dolls. He lived a simple and happy life. Then six months ago he met a mysterious woman, and he borrowed $800 to keep her happy. Now the money and the woman are all gone, and bad men are looking for him. His name is Boston Joey. You can help. Send cash and check to Boston Joey care of the Harvard CRIMSON.