Crimson Cagers Challenge Yale, Brown This Weekend

By Jonathan P. Carlson

After a two-week lay-off for exam period that is producing Ireadaches for coach Boh Harrison, the Harvard basketball team returns to action against Yale in New Haven this Friday night against Brown in Providence on Saturday night.

"We still haven't gone over Yale's offenses and defenses." Harrison said Tuesday. "Because of exams. I haven't had my starting unit together yet, and we'll only have two days to get ready for them."

Even if the Crimson is prepared, mentally and as a team, for Bulldogs, it may still have diffidenty winning its first Ivy League game in five attempts Yale, aiming for a first division finish, is 3-1 in Ivy competition and 7-7 overall.

Hawaii

The Elis have topped Brown twice, defeated Cornell, 72-60, and fallen 81-80, to Columbia in New York During winter vacation, Yale won the Rainbow Classic in Hawaii, the University of San Francisco, and LSU.

Led by junior guard Jim Morgan, who is averaging 21 points a game, the Bulldogs have won four of their last six contests. But Yale, like Harvard. has not played for two weeks because of exams.

If that is any consolation for Crimson fans, the fact that two Harvard starters, junior guard Dale Dover and sophomore forward Brian Newmark, are not at full potential is not encouraging.

Dover, who injured his back in the second Dartmouth game, is not moving at full speed, and Newmark, who is recovering from mononucleosis, will probably need occasional rest during the course of the game.

Shuffle Off to New Haven

Harrison plans to "outer the Elis" shuffle offense with a combination man-to-man zone defense in an effort to break up Yale's patterns and bottle up Morgan at the same time.

If the Crimson overcomes its difficulties and upsets Yale, the impetus from that victory could carry Harvard to win over Brown on Saturday night.

The Bruins, who edged the Crimson 68-67. last season, are an improved squad, but have yet to win an Ivy League game in four tries. Harvard, too, is an improved squad that hasn't won an Ivy contest, but it should be able to top Brown.

"Under normal circumstances, we should be able to beat them." said Harrison yesterday "but because of exams, now I just don't know." OUT?AW

Sophomore forward Arnie Berman is the Bruins' leading scorer and rebounder. Teaming up with 6' 6" Berman under the boards, 6' 7" center Bill Kolkmeyer gives Brown good rebounding strength.

Control

Even so: the Crimson should be able to control the boards, and with Dover guarding Berman, should cut off the Bruins' main scoring threat.

Harvard's freshman team, now 8-2, travels to Providence on Saturday for a 6:15 p. m. preliminary with the Bruin freshmen.