The Statement

The criminal trespass complaints upon which Cheyney Ryan was convicted today were filed by me on behalf of the University for three reasons:

First, on May 8th and 11th large numbers of pickets at University Hall, by marching in a human chain and massing on the steps, physically barred University officials from entering their offices.

Second, such coercion, if permitted, irreparably damages and would ultimately destroy not only the functioning of the University but the personal liberty of its members. The only way the University can protect itself against physical violence or obstruction by nonstudents is to institute proceedings in the courts.

Third, since disciplinary actions were instituted against students who engaged in such deliberate physical obstruction, it would have been grossly unfair to ignore the same conduct on the part of non-students. Accordingly, criminal trespass complaints were filed against all non-students identified as participating in the obstruction after being warned to stay off or leave the premises.

After the complaints were filed, no Harvard official had any role whatever in arrest, arraignment or conduct of the prosecution except to indicate what evidence was available and to give testimony when requested.