Basketball Team Prepares Benefit Game and Clinic

Basketball fans will get their first look at what could be one of the finest Harvard cage squads in recent years tomorrow night at the IAB.

A scrimmage and clinic sponsored by the varsity basketball squad will be held as a benefit for the Cambridge Afro-American Cultural Center at 8 p.m. A $1 donation will be collected at the door.

The first part of the evening will include a display of team practice drills, guided by coaches Robert Harrison and K.C. Jones. Harrison will explain his theories on basketball and discuss his plans for the Harvard basketball program.

An intersquad game will follow, with all 14 team members participating.

"The players feel," explained captain Dale Dover, "that we want to dispel the image that basketball players can't be political. That's true on the court, but off the court, its an entirely different story."

Dover said that the players as a team "don't claim any particularly strong association with the Afro-American Center" but when the financial director from the center suggested the idea, the team voted unanimously in favor it.

Special permission had to be granted by a faculty committee to allow the benefit. The committee voted unanimously to suspend the normal injunction against letting students use University facilities for private fund-raising affairs.

The Crimson basketball squad last year compiled an abysmal 1-13 Ivy record, but this year the varsity is bolstered by the presence of outstanding members from last season's 17-2 freshman team.