Crimson Romps Over W. P. I., 6-0; Booters to Face Brown Next Week

By Robert W. Gerlach

Junior forward Charlie Thomas scored four goals to lead the varsity soccer team to a 6-0 victory over Worcester Polytechnic Institute yesterday in the opening round of the NCAA university division New England playoffs.

In Providence, Brown needed a fluke goal-a carom shot off a Middlebury fullback-to beat the Black Panthers, 1-0, and gain the right to face the Crimson next Tuesday in the New England finals.

Coordinated teamwork was the key to Harvard's win. Four of the Crimson's six goals came on picture-passing combinations. On defense, the Crimson fullback line kept play well out of the penalty area after a shaky start, and goaltender Shep Messing had a relatively easy game through the final three periods.

At the start of the match, W. P. I. took control of the game with a crisp, short-passing attack. In the opening five minutes of play, forward Jack Blaisdell had two shots at an open net from within ten yards but he missed both chances.

With only a minute left in the first period. Solomon Gomez outraced the Engineer defense with a Thomas pass, carried the ball to the end line, and centered a pass to Thomas, who fired the ball past goalie Tom Terkanian's feet.

The Engineers faded in the second period, and, despite the cheers of a partisan W. P. I. crowd, Harvard controlled play throughout the quarter. Although the score remained 1-0 to the half, the Crimson appeared on its way to victory.

Thomas wrapped up the game on a run down the left wing midway through the third period. He beat one defender, shot, and then dribbled his own rebound past a very slow-moving Terkanian.

Harvard's prettiest goal came moments later as Phil Kydes passed to Thomas, who hit halfback Norrie Harrower breaking on the right wing. Harrower beat the Engineer goalie for this first score of the season and a 3-0 Crimson lead.

Three More

The pace of the game slowed considerably in the fourth quarter, but Harvard revived for three goals in the final minutes. First, Gomez fed Thomas for a one on one breakaway, and Thomas hit the inside of the post for his third goal.

Sophomore Chris Papagianis then entered the game, scored unassisted from the right wing, and had two more dangerous shots from close in before the game ended.

The Crimson's teamwork showed most clearly on the final Harvard goal. Peter Bogovich took a long pass on the left wing and came straight in on Terkanian for an open shot on goal. But at the last moment Bogovich passed off to Thomas, who finished the 6-0 rout.