Freshman Harriers Should Help Next Fall's Strong Varsity Team

The varsity cross country team, already loaded with young talent, can look forward to the addition of at least two good sophomores next year.

Andy Campbell and Rick Rojas have just completed outstanding seasons for the freshman team, leading the Yardlings to an eighth-place performance in Monday's IC4A's in New York. Campbell was 12th in the meet while Rojas was 19th.

The eighth-place finish enabled Harvard to beat Yale, 229-231, and avenge an earlier loss to the Elis in the Big Three.

Throughout the fall, Rojas was the top runner. He won nearly every race, and only occasionally was he pushed during the last part of the three-mile course. He was elected captain in October shortly before winning the Greater Boston Meet. His 19th-place finish Monday was a disappointment.

Surprise

Campbell was more of a surprise. He did not report for practice until a few weeks into the season but he quickly developed into Harvard's number-two man, finishing a strong second in the Greater Bostons.

He was the most conspicuous surprise on a team few expected to do well. After a slow start, coach Pappy Hunt's squad rallied to end the season with a 6-4 record.

The depth came from Jerry Hines, Fred Linsk, Mike Noble, and Jerry Hadley.