Intramural Winners to Face Yale In Soccer, Tackle, Touch Matches

"'You can just go tell those Yale guys that we're really gonna move the ball against them, and that we're really gonna put the points up on the ole scoreboard. I think we're gonna kill 'em."

So said a supremely confident Joe Stiles, Winthrop House's shifty athletic secretary and part-time touch football coach, looking ahead to Friday's championship match with Yale. "They aren't going to be able to move the ball against us at all," he added.

Seventeen contests are scheduled for this weekend as the top Harvard Houses in intramural soccer, tackle football and touch football take on the winning Yale colleges. There are six games slated for tackle football, four for touch football and seven for soccer.

Winthrop earned the right to represent Harvard in the championship touch game by dismantling Leverett, 31-0, yesterday afternoon on the strength of a balanced team effort by an unusually large squad.

"It's purely a matter of priorities." Stiles explained. "The night before the big game, a lot of the Leverett players were up late studying for their hourlies. My boys were getting their sleep."

Lowell House will be putting its undefeated record on the line against the Elis' Dwight College in the championship soccer match, and Lowell coach Teddy Voorhees is optimistic, too. His squad has racked up nine straight victories and, like the Winthrop touch squad, it does a lot of scoring.

"I don't really know what to expect from Yale," Voorhees said, "because we've never played in one of these things before. But we're pretty confident anyway. Harvard pretty much always wins the soccer part of these things."

"Of course, we still don't know anything about Yale," warned Sam Calhoun, captain of the Eliot grid squad that meets Branford College in the tackle football title match. "I mean, they could be great."

Eliot bowled its way to the Harvard House championship with a 6-1-1 record, nosing out a fast-developing squad from Mather House. Eliot has been bothered recently by key injuries, particularly on offense, but, promises Calhoun, "We'll be ready for this one."

"I think we're going to win." Calhoun said, "but that might not mean too much, because I always think I'm going to win, and I sometimes don't. But these guys haven't given us too much trouble in the past, and I don't expect much more this time around."

Harvard-Yale TACKLE FOOTBALL

2:30 Eliot vs J. E. Branford

Webster Field

2:30 Mather vs Morse-E. Stiles

Webster Field

2:00 Kirkland vs Trumbull

Saybrook Field No. 1

3:15 Leverett vs Calhoun-

Berkeley Field No. 1

2:00 Lowell vs Davenport-

Pierson Field No. 2

3:15 Winthrop vs T. Dwight-

Silliman Field No. 2