Radcliffe Rapist Returns. Student Chases Him Away

The so-called "Radcliffe rapist" showed up again last night in Holmes Hall.

At about 7:15, Paul R. Harrison '72 was sitting in a third floor room with two friends when they noticed a man in the hall who "didn't seem to know what he was doing."

He claimed to be looking for "Sue Wilson" -the fictions name used by the alleged rapist several weeks ago-but he became intimidated when Harrison and his friends recognized the name and came out into the hall.

He moved toward the stairs nervously as the three attempted to stall him. "You people are just giving me a hard time," he said, and then ran down stairs.

Harrison pursued him out the back door, past Comstock, and onto Linnaean Street. He was headed toward Mass Ave. when Harrison decided to return to Holmes and report the incident.

Harrison described the man as white, tall and well built, with a large nose and short brownish hair. He wore a winter coat and green stocking cap and "lookedlike a very straight college student," Harrison said.

There have been several reports of prowlers in the Radcliffe area this year, including one rape and one attack. The attack occurred at 6:30 p. m. on Oct. 31 near the Harvard Observatory.

The description of last night's prowler resembles that of the armed rapist who entered Radcliffe dormitories on Oct. 13.

Harrison believed that the prowler might have entered through the front door when a dorm resident came in or left. Rumors that the man was later seen in Holmes basement and in Comstock appear to have been erroneous.

"We felt disappointed that we didn't catch him," Harrison said. "This was our chance and we blew it."