Unbeaten Ruggers to Face Tigers

Harvard's undefeated varsity rugby squad journeys to Princeton this weekend to battle the potent Tigers as the fall Ivy League rugby season rolls into the crucial final phase.

After slipping, sliding, and shoving its way to a narrow 6-0 triumph over a surprisingly tough Harvard Business School "A" team on Tuesday, the Crimson is looking to the three remaining contests to determine the League championship. After Princeton on Saturday, Harvard will host the unbeaten Brown varsity next week and will close the fall season against the usually powerful Yale ruggers here on November 21.

The Harvard "B" squad stunned the Business School's second team 29-0 yesterday, scoring early and often and relying on a well-balanced team effort. The "B" unit, now 3-2 on the season, also travels to Princeton for a Saturday clash.

A constant rain and large puddles on the turf turned the "A" match against the B-School into an uncoordinated shoving match. With the college leading 3-0 in the first half, a minor skirmish resulted in the ejection of one player from each team.

Don Chiofaro, football captain and all-Ivy linebacker for the Crimson in 1967, switched sports and is learning to play rugby for the Business School. A minor melee resulted in early showers for both Chiofaro and the college's Lee Sheehy.

Jim Siwy moved up to play prop in Sheehy's absence, and George Kyle covered Siwy's spot in the second row. Both squads were forced to play with only fourteen men, as rugby rules allow no substitution.

Both Harvard tries came in the first half, and both were scored by Crimson backs falling on a loose ball in a corner of the end zone.

Ed Banner lofted a kick over the defensive backfield and over the goal line, and Buckey Hayes covered it for three points. Hal Clark tallied the second try by falling on his own short kick in the end zone.