Four-Way Competition Awaits Unbeaten Matmen

Expecting its toughest challenge so far this season, Harvard's unbeaten varsity wrestling team will participate in a quadrangular meet hosted by powerful Franklin and Marshall College in Lancaster, Pa, this weekend.

The competition is expected to be a showdown between the Crimson and Franklin and Marshall, a team that handed Harvard its first loss last year, 19-17. The other two teams in the meet are the University of Virginia and William and Mary College.

"There is a possibility we could do very well but our boys will have to wrestle better than they have so far," assistant coach Bob Fehrs said.

Both William and Mary and Virginia have some good personnel at various weights classes but last year neither was able to post a winning record.

Virginia has been improving the last couple of years mostly due to the effort of its new coach, George Edwards. In an enviable position, Franklin and Marshall will probably use eight of the wrestlers it used last year in nipping the Crimson. Coach Ron Gray's squad defeated Columbia by one point last week in their first match of the season.

One interesting technical aspect to the meet is that it will be scored for each team, like three individual dual meets. Most quadrangular matches produce one first place winner among the four teams. But in this meet Harvard will essentially be playing the three schools separately.

Three members of this season's Crimson squad turned in victories last year against Franklin and Marshall. Captain Pat Coleman won a 6-2 decision over his 150 pound opponent Doug Ward, whom he may meet this year.

At 167 pounds Mark Faller overwhelmed Scott McClintlock, his rival in the quadrangular, 14-4. Harvard's Dave Scanlon, 190 pounds, pinned his Franklin and Marshall foe last year at 16 seconds of the second period. Tonight a rematch will occur with his victim, Fred Albrecht.

Coach Lee is planning only one change in the lineup he has used so far step into his first varsity slot tonight this season. Sophomore Dave Kreis will at 126 pounds in place of Steve Monsulik. "Monsulik is studying for exams," Lee explained.