Army Outruns, Outjumps Thinclads While Spengler and Brokaw Shine

Army defeated Harvard's varsity track team, 71-38, at West Point Saturday in a meet marked by a peculiar 100-yard race.

In the 600 Harvard's Bob Clayton, running on the inside, was apparently forced off the track by Army runners. Clayton was surrounded when he came around the corner just beyond the quarter mile marker. As he was pushed aside, his spikes caught the edge of the tartan track which was slightly above the rest of the surface and he fell.

A foul was called on the run and a Cadet was disqualified from the event, thus allowing a Harvard runner to ake third place.

Clayton Comes Back

Clayton came back a half hour later in the 1000-yard run only to be nipped at the finish line by Army's Lou Cattie. Clayton was leading at the 900-yard mark, but Cattie caught him and reached the finish line a split second ahead of the Harvard sophomore.

In other events, Harvard's Joe Naughton won the shot-put with a throw of 54'6", while Ed Nozal threw the hammer 61'51/2" for another first place.

Army was very impressive in the pole vault, taking first and second places. The Cadets also took first in the long jump, the high jump and the two relays.

Harvard cross country captain Tom Spengler took the two mile race for Harvard with a time of 4:13.4, and Harvard sophomore Jeff Brokaw was very impressive in the two mile, taking third place at 9:17.4, only 2.4 seconds off the winning mark.

Tie

In the 60-yard dash, cadets Tony Dedmond and Kevin Flanagan tied for first place and set the Army Field House record at 6.3 seconds.

Harvard freshmen team won a convincing victory over the Cadets, 70-38. Harvard's Jim Klaiger took a first in the pole vault with a jump of 14'6". The mile relay team won with a time of 3:24.

Harvard will meet Boston College tomorrow at the bubble in a contest which begins at 6 p. m.