Faculty Debates Merger, Creates a New Committee To Consider All Problems

By Jeremy S. Bluhm

After discussing some of the problems of the proposed merger of Harvard and Radeliffe Colleges, the Faculty voted Tuesday to establish a new committee to consider all of them.

The motion which the Faculty approved said that the Faculty has "not sufficiently considered the various and serious potential consequences of the complete and irrevocable merger" of the two colleges.

Four special Harvard committees-dealing with the Houses, coeducational living, admissions and financial aid, and the University's general financial situation-are already considering various aspects of the proposed merger between the colleges. The new committee will consider their reports, which along with its own are to be presented to the Faculty before the end of the semester.

The new committee is to include representatives of "all concerned groups" at Harvard and Radcliffe and will be selected in consultation with the recently-elected Faculty Council.

Speaking in support of the creation of the new group. Radeliffe President Mary I. Bunting said she hoped that it would also consider the reports of several Radeliffe committees which are now studying the College's future relationship with the University.

The establishment of the new group was recommended by Giles Constable '50, Henry Charles Lea Professor of Medieval History, who presented his proposal as an amendment to a motion offered by Edward L. Keenan Jr. '57, lecturer on History.

All Considerations

Keenan had moved-on behalf of 24 members of the 27-man committee on admissions and financial aid-that any decision on the future relationship between Harvard and Radeliffe "be deferreduntil all considerations pro and con and all voices within the two communities have been heard."

In support of his motion, Keenan argued that the merger question had serious implications for the "very nature of the University in years to come."

Speaking for the Constable amendment, Mrs. Bunting called attention to the strain that uncertainity about Radeliffe's future was causing for its students, alumnae, and staff. But, because of the complexity of the problems surrounding Radeliffe's future position in the University, she said, "it would be premature for this Faculty to take any action at this time that would limit the options."

Another supporter of the Constable amendment, Gerald Holton, professor of Physics, noted the extreme demands which would be placed on housing, professors and tutors, and libraries, if "lawsuits or moral pressures" caused a "sudden influx" of new woman students.

Third of a Third

At the Tuesday meeting, the Faculty also approved a motion submitted by Abram Bergson, professor of Economics, which stated that when less than one-third of its members attend a meeting, a vote by one-third of those present would be sufficient to ensure that any issue could be brought up for reconsideration at a later meeting.