Track Squad Scores Easy Victory In Greater Boston Championships

By Wilson Dubose

Harvard's varsity track team parlayed a series of stunning individual performances into its seventh consecutive indoor Greater Boston Championship title at the Harvard bubble Saturday.

Setting or tying five meet records and winning 10 of 13 events, the Crimson humbled its opposition with 85 points, compared to 40 points for its nearest challenger, Boston College.

Captain Keith Colburn was voted the meet's outstanding participant although a host of other Crimson performers could lay equal claim to the trophy.

Making one of his rare appearances in the two-mile, Colburn easily outdistanced the field with a time of 8:52.2. nearly 17 seconds better than teammate Dave Pottetti, who finished second in 9:09.0.

Comebacks

Senior Roy Shaw produced two spectacular comebacks to win both the mile and 1000-yard runs. In the latter race. Shaw was in a seemingly hopeless fifth place with less than a lap remaining, but recovered to pass two runners with about 70 yards left. He went on to nip B.C.'s Dave Walsh and Northeastern's Frank Kelly at the wire in a time of 2:15.1.

In the mile. Shaw moved from third to first place in the final 40 yards to win in a meet record time of 4:13.5.

Crimson junior Walter Johnson capped off a successful performance in the meet by setting a new record in the 60-yard hurdles with a 7.4 clocking. Johnson had earlier finished second behind teammate Need Hare in a Harvard-dominated long jump. The Crimson's Bob Galliers finished third in the event.

Johnson also had a hand in Harvard's record-setting mile relay victory. He teamed with Chris Alvord, Ed Dugger, and Tom Downer to cruise to an easy victory in a time of 3:19.9. Anchor man Downer, who also won the 600-yard run, provided the coup de grace in the relay with a blazing final leg-of 49.3.

Other Crimson standouts were John Gillis, who won the 440-yard dash in a time of 50.1, and sophomore Ed Baskauskas, who scored an upset victory in the high jump with a leap of 6'6". On Friday, Ed Nosal captured the 35 lb, weight throw with a toss of 59'21/4".

The Crimson freshmen, coached by Pappy Hunt, were no less impressive than their varsity counterparts as they tallied a record-breaking 100 points on route to a sixth straight GBC victory in as many tries.

Harvard's Dave Elliot established two meet records, winning the mile run in 4:11.5 and the 1000-yard run in 2.11.7. Both times surpassed the varsity times for the same events. Bob Clayton (1:12.9 in the 600-yard run). Steve Skane (14.5" in the pole vault) and Joe Naughton (53' in the shot put) also set new meet records for the Yardlings.