Ed School Student To Run For a Congressional Seat

A graduate student at the School of Education who coordinated Senator Eugene McCarthy's 1968 New Hampshire Primary Campaign said yesterday that he is an "active but as yet unannounced candidate" for Congress from Massachusetts' Twelfth District.

Gerry E. Studds, who was a delegate to the 1968 Democratic National Convention and a member of its Platform Committee, said that he is making "a careful assessment of potential primary opposition" before announcing his candidacy for the seat that has been held by the Republican incumbent Hastings Keith for the last 12 years.

The 32-year-old Yale graduate has held a number of government positions as a Foreign Service Officer. Senale aide and Congressional liaison officer in President Kennedy's task force to establish a Domestic Peace Corps. From 1965 through last June he taught American history at St. Paul's School in Concord, N. H.

The 12th Is Republican

He is considering running in a traditionally Republican district which includes the affluent. South Shore suburbs and Cape Cod as well as the depressed industrial city of New Bedford.

Studds said that he has been active since last November in trying to find a liberal candidate for the House seat, but has been campaigning in his own behalf for the last three weeks.

The principal issue of the campaign according to Studds will be "what will happen to the best of our young people if we cannot produce candidates for high public office who can command their respect and trust." If this trust is not achieved, he added. "I don't think any of the issues can be resolved satisfactorily."

Studds said he has been travelling throughout the District and talking to Democrats and members of Citizens for Participation Polities.