Senior Jack Turco, Hero at B.C., Picks Up the Points and Publicity

Jack Turco stuffed his fifth goal of the night into the B.C. net raised his stick into the air, and smiled, B.C., with too little time left, was far behind, and Harvard was on its way to the ECAC semifinals.

Turco has been scoring and smiling a lot in the past month, and Harvard has won nine of its last ten games. Things haven't always been so cheerful for the senior from Melrose, or for the Harvard hockey team this season.

In 1968, Harvard had a balanced hockey team with three fairly even lines. Turco, a sophomore, led the team in scoring with 36 points.

In 1969, Joe Cavanagh arrived. He picked up 62 points and his all-sophomore line led the East in scoring captured the headlines, and received much of the credit for Harvard's second-place finish in the East. Turco ended up eighth in the scoring race. His ice-time, goal production, and confidence dwindled considerably.

Turco on First

In 1970, Harvard's defense faltered and the Crimson lost games they should have won. Cavanagh moved to defense, and Turco moved on to the first line. His confidence returned, and he began scoring again.

He rejoined former linemate George McManama and the rennion proved to be a productive one. The two had played summer hockey together in high school and had worked well together during the sophomore season.

As seniors, after skating on different lines for a year and a half and playing under the shadow of the Cavanagh line, they are largely responsible for Harvard's late-season resurgence. With their third linemate, senior Ron Mark, they scored seven of Harvard's ten goals against B.C.

Turco is relieved to be scoring again. "When you feel confident, you score. When you lose that confidence, you begin to try too hard. Instead of looking for a couple of goals, you start struggling for an assist." Turco now has 42 points for the season, most of them coming since he joined McManama and Mark.

Turco has received a lot of attention from newspapers and radio for his five-goal performance against B.C., an ECAC record. He is from Melrose, referred to as "Hockey Town, USA" by its residents and he has played under pressure all his life, but his sudden publicity is a new experience.

There was a picture in the Boston Herald yesterday showing Turco draping his arm around Cooney Weiland, holding up five fingers, and grinning like a Cheshire eat. He was still smiling last night as he fielded questions over the phone for a radio sports show.

It will take quite a performance by Turco and Harvard to keep Turko smiling after the Cornell game Friday night.