Swimmers Set Three Records While Crushing Quakers, 73-38

By Bennett H. Beach

Harvard's swimmers broke three records and tied another Saturday in the IAB and went on to easily defeat a supposedly tough Penn team, 73-38, and clinch fourth place in the EISL.

The Crimson had lost the medley relay in both of its two recent losses, but Saturday, backstroker Dan Kohick got Harvard off to a quick start with a record 54-4 split, and his team subsequently broke the Harvard record by almost three seconds and equalled the pool mark of 3:10.7 set by Princeton four years ago.

Bulge

The Crimson built the 7-0 lead into a 31-3 bulge by sweeping the next three events. Steve Krause, who has been putting in many extra hours of workouts recently easily smashed both pool and Harvard records with a 10:06.9 in the 1000-free.

Toby Gerhart and Mike Cahalan added firsts in the 200-free and the 50-free to put the Quakers almost hopelessly behind. Penn coach George Breen was unable to use his standout Steve Kowal in the 200 since he had put him in the opening relay in hopes of gaining an early edge.

Momentary Glory

Paul Brundage gained Penn momentary glory by beating Kobick in the individual medley, but when the Quakers' diver, talented Bob Koons, had to settle for second place behind Dave Silver, it was just a question of getting the meet over with Harvard swept the three-meter board later when Koons, who had been sick all week, didn't compete.

In the day's most exciting, duel, Kowal beat Cahalan by 0.4 seconds with a 48.4 in the 100-free. In one of the final events. Larry Reider earned Penn's only other individual victory with a fast 2:18.2 breaststroke to beat Pete Mikhalevsky.

Other winners for the Crimson were John Munk in the butterfly (2:02.9). Kobick in the backstroke (2:06.9), and Greg Hun in the 500-free (3:14.5).

Harvard ends its season Saturday against Yale in New Haven.