B. C. Newspaper Stops Publishing, Seeks Autonomy

The Boston College newspaper, The Heights, suspended publication Wednesday to dramatize four demands it claims must be met if the paper is to become autonomous.

The university administration last Friday severed ties with The Heights forbidding the use of the name and continuing its budget only for the remainder of the year.

Alleging "increasing editorial irresponsibility," an official statement said, "the university administration wishes no further connection with the undergraduate newspaper as it is presently constituted and edited."

The Heights editorial board voted to seek autonomy by demanding permanent university commitments on four issues:

a subsidy plan that will assure continued operation until fiscal autonomy can be obtained;

a guarantee of present or equivalent office space;

the ownership of current printing equipment;

provision of furniture, equipment such as telephones and services, provided by the university to other student organizations.

In the event that an out-of-court settlement cannot be reached, the paper may take the case to court calling the action a "breach of contract." The paper has a charter ratified by the College's Board of Trustees. The Heights has engaged alegal counsel, attorney Harold C. Dulong, and has set up a defense fund.

"The university is not contemplating the financing of another student newspaper," a Heights editorial said. "The statement of last Friday states. "The university recognizes that a college newspaper is needed,' If the university is telling the truth it will recognize the urgency of our requests."

Asked whether the loss of the name was an issue, editor Thomas Sheehan said. "The university assigned the name Heights to the present University Notes [an administration organ] on Friday, but we put out a paper called the Heights on Wednesday. I'll let that speak for itself. But what we are really looking for is a workable autonomy plan."