Bonston College First Opponet Skaters Given Fifth ECAC Seed; Playoff Will Be At Chestnut Hill

By John L. Powers

Although definite assignments were made for only three of the eight ECAC hockey playoff positions yesterday, they will be enough to add an increased note of urgency to Harvard's practice sessions this week.

The Crimson, as it had expected, will play Boston College a week from today-but it will face the Eagles at Chestnut Hill, and not at Watson Rink, as Harvard had anticipated.

The seedlings, made on a weighted basis of ECAC record and strength of schedule, had made it clear by last Wednesday night that the Crimson and B. C. would meet in the opening round of the playoffs as the fourth-and fifth-ranked teams.

Friendly Ice

Since Harvard's winning percentage was and should be next Saturday, slightly higher than the Eagles, the Crimson had assumed that it would have the distinct advantage of confronting BC on friendly ice. The top four teams have home-ice privileges for the first game.

But the ECAC seeding committee, composed of a group of Eastern collegiate coaches, felt that Boston College had experienced somewhat stiffer competition, and since they had come from behind to vanquish the Crimson last December at McHugh Forum. it seemed that the Eagles had a slight edge.

Boston College having completed its regular season last Saturday with a convincing victory at Army has a 44-7 record. Harvard, assuming it wins its two remaining games with Princeton and Yale, will finish 14-6.

Top Berth

The only other playoff berth that was firmly decided yesterday was the top one and it went to undefeated Cornell, as expected. The Big Red will meet either Colgate or St. Lawrence, who are both battling for eighth place in the opening round at Ithaca.