Seized Issue of 'HarBus' Is Revised and Distributed

By Samuel Z. Goldhaber

The HarBus News-a free weekly newspaper whose 4000 copies were stolen last Thursday by members of Business School Afro-will appear this morning in a revised edition.

In today's edition, the HarBus proprietors have pulled last Thursday's paper's lead story on the Earth Festival and substituted a rebuttal to one reporter's printed account of a racial incident in a first-year MBA class.

Terry D. Schmidt, editor of the HarBus, said "I expected to see the paper back on Friday. We were obligated to put the paper out again because of the advertisers and the readers. If we didn't put it out again, it could have been interpreted as censorship."

The added cost of setting a new story and running off 4000 additional copies of the HarBus will be between $200 and $300, Schmidt said. He said that although the bill will come to the HarBus, it is uncertain whether the paper, Afro, or the publication board will pay the additional costs.

After last Thursday's seizure of the HarBus, Dennis A. Bovin, student chairman of the Publications Board, called a meeting for representatives of the HarBus, Afro, and the Pub Board. They reached the following agreement:

that the HarBus will disassociate

itself from any previous editorial policies of any previous proprietor group (Schmidt's group took over last month and will hold the proprietorship for one year);

that a mechanism will be set up whereby all future articles will be reviewed by the HarBus staff more than they have been previously;

any concerned group, at the discretion of the HarBus, will have a chance to review the tone of any controversial article to assure that it is a fair representation of the facts.

Grover Walker, co-chairman of first year Business School Afro, cited four articles and an editorial which he said were racist, but he refused to pick out specific passages. "If it becomes necessary and expedient in the future to refer very explicitly to the racist overtones of the articles, I will. What occurred last week is an accomplished fact. I think we have reached a meeting of the minds," he said.

The articles which Walker referred to were a report on the grade average of minority group students, an expose of the Business Assistance Program in which Business School students consult on black businesses, a story on "The Harvard Business School Game" prepared for the April Fool's issue, and the racial incident in an MBA class.

The editorial, which accompanied the expose of the Business Assistance Program, was entitled "BAP: Our Very Own Chappaquiddick" and began, stating "This year the Business Assistance Program ran off a bridge."