Supercouncil to Meet Informally as Caucus

The 23 student members of the four new student-faculty committees have decided not to form a Supercouncil.

The student members of these committees-the Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life, the Committee on Undergraduate Education, the Committee on Students and Community Relations, and the Committee on Rights and Responsibilities-voted to meet informally as a caucus rather than create an official student council.

The decision, which the students reached at a pre-vacation dinner sponsored by Dean May, came after widespread student opposition to the idea of a Super-council.

However, Leverett, Quincy, and the freshman class have already approved a referendum which empowers the members of the four committees to function as a single council and authorizes them to submit a constitution to the student body for ratification.

Richard S. Tilden '71, Winthrop's representative on the Committee on Undergraduate Education, said that most students on the committees felt it would be "presumptuous" to form a Supercouncil at this point.

No Credibility

"We haven't even established our credibility as separate committees," he said.

John D. Hanify '71, former president of the now defunet Harvard Undergraduate Council, said the students would wait and see how the new student-faculty committees function. If they are effective in achieving reforms, the student committee members may reconsider the formation of a Supercouncil, he added.

Hanify said that if the Supercouncil is created, it might also reconsider adding $10 to each student's term bill in order to raise the $50,000 needed for its activities.

In the meantime, the new Supercaucus will continue to meet periodically.