Students Strike Nationally Against War in Cambodia

By J. W. Stillman

Protests against the U. S. invasion of Cambodia grew this weekend, as editors of 15 college newspapers endorsed an editorial calling for a national student strike.

Student organizers at M. I. T., Harvard. Tufts and Boston University plan mass meetings today to vote on strike proposals, while students at Brandeis met in their dormitories last night to decide what action should be taken.

The Undergraduate Government at Boston College, which has been on strike since mid-April, endorsed the nation-wide protest.

At a press conference of the regional office of the National Strike Committee-a group formed in New Haven on Saturday to coordinate the strikes across the country-four strike demands were listed: immediate withdrawal from Southeast Asia, release of all victims of political repression in the United States including the Black Panthers, the impeachment of President Nixon, and the end to war-related activities at universities.

Among the colleges whose newspapers have endorsed the strike editorial are Cornell, Rutgers, University of Pennsylvania, Bryn Mawr, Haverford, Dartmouth, Brown, Princeton, U. C. L. A., Berkeley, Stanford, Colgate, Sarah Lawrence. Columbia, and Harvard.

At a meeting at Stanford yesterday 800 students voted to strike until allU. S. troops are withdrawn from Southeast Asia. Students at Rutgers, Purdue and Indiana University also voted to boycott classes. Columbia University President Andrew W. Cordier announced that he will join a rally today protesting the Cambodian action.

Student activists from about 20 colleges met at the University of Pennsylvania and planned strikes for across the Middle-Atlantic area. More than 2000 Princeton University students and faculty voted to strike on Friday night and planned another mass meeting for noon today.

Ohio Governor James A. Rhodes said yesterday that he is seeking authority for National Guardsmen to make arrests at Kent State University where an Army ROTC building was burned down Saturday night. Meanwhile the curfew at Kent continued.

Last night 30 teachers at Vanderbilt University in Nashville Tennessee sponsored a teach-in on Cambodia and plans were made for a march to the federal building in downtown Nashville.

Over the weekend there was scattered violence on campuses across the country. ROTC centers were burned at the University of Maryland, Hobart, -Princeton and Oregon State, Demonstrators were also arrested at Southern Illinois University and the University of Cincinnati.

The Student Mobilization Committee is organizing a demonstration at the Mass. Statehouse in Boston Tuesday to protest the U. S. invasion of Cambodia as well as to support the bill that would require a referendum on the war on the November ballot. An array of anti-war organizations have begun planning a massive march on Washington for this Saturday.