Employees Strike

By Robert Decherd

More than 30 secretaries from the Harvard Law School Secretaries Association voted yesterday to strike until Monday and to support the student demands passed at Tuesday night's mass meeting of Harvard employees. They also asked to receive full compensation for the days missed.

But William R. Bruce, vice-dean of the Law School, said last night that the Law School would not pay the strikers, but count the days missed as vacation.

A closed meeting this afternoon in Mem Hall will attempt to coordinate the spreading employee strike. Only University employees and certain administrators will be allowed to attend.

Janice Roysher, undergraduate secretary in the Soc Rel Department and chairman of today's meeting, explained that "employees have to know where they stand in relation to the University before taking action on moral grounds," and that discussions including students and faculty could serve only to confuse employees.

'Meaningless'

She said last night that President Pusey's statement released Tuesday- calling on "all officers of the University ... to make every effort to accommodate interruptions in normal procedures"- was "meaningless and did not guarantee employees pay while on strike."

L. Gard Wiggins, executive vice-president of the University, said last night that Pusey's statement did specify the University's policy on paying striking employees and that it would apply indefinitely.

"If in good conscience, employees have objections to the war and can not continue to work, then the University will continue to pay their salaries," he said.

The Executive Committee of the Center for International Affairs (CFIA) yester-day suspended all activities of the Center until next Monday to allow people associated with the Center- including employees- to "pursue the dictates of conscience."

Earlier yesterday, the staff of the Developmental Advisory Service (DAS), an autonomous division of the CFLA, voted, 24-4, to close its offices for the day.

A nucleus of about 50 striking workers has established a headquarters in the Phillip Brooks House (PBH) in an effort to organize an all-University strike.

An Impasse

An impasse has arisen, however, because of no-strike clauses in the union contracts of all University service employees. These include caretakers, mechanics, groundsmen, and food service personnel.

The Harvard libraries suffered noticeable labor shortages yesterday and at least two departments- Soe Rel and English- were crippled by secretarial walkouts.

Among the striking employees were workers at 1737 Cambridge Street, Littauer, the Law School, the CFIA, PBH, and the University library system.

A meeting of about 150 employees from the different Harvard libraries in Widener yesterday afternoon voted to strike today and Friday, and to hold a meeting Friday morning on the steps of Widener to protest the deaths of four Kent State students and the war in Southeast Asia.

Twelve of 16 Hilles went on strike yesterday, and the library was closed at 5 p.m. when the law students who normally staff the night shift did not report to work.