Yovicsin Shuffles Crimson Attack; Foster Named as Top Sophomore

By R. W. D.

Several offensive changes were revealed Monday when the Crimson went back to work in preparation for Saturday's meeting with Rutgers in Harvard Stadium.

Pete Varney, on the venge of becoming Harvard's all-time leading receiver before he switched to halfback during preseason practice, has been moved back to tight end.

Replacing Varney in the starting backfield is junior Steve Harrison, last year's second leading rusher, who had moved out to flanker in Coach John Yovicsin's new pro set offense.

Displaced tight end Bruce Freeman, the Crimson's leading receiver in last Saturday's 28-7 opening victory over Northeastern, is going back to split end, and Denis Sullivan, last week's starter at end, will fill in for Harrison at flanker.

The other switch in the offing this week has senior Tom Miller, who came on strong in relief against Northeastern, challenging sophomore Steve Hall for the starting fullback slot.

Foster Honored

As expected, sophomore quarterback Rod Foster has secured a starting role after igniting a sagging Crimson attack last Saturday, but junior Rex Blankenship remains with the first team. While Foster is directing the revamped pro set, Blankenship alternates as number two signal caller with the first team.

Tuesday Foster was named ECAC Division I sophomore of the week for his performance against Northwestern.

Junior David Crawford, who showed spunk backing up Varney in the opener, holds down the slot behind Harrison and could push him for the starting position as the season progresses.

Emphasis in practice this week will be on coordinating the new offensive personnel and solidifying the offensive line.