Matmen 8-3 After Pounding M. I. T. 33-6

By M. DEACON Dake

Performing with the same aggressiveness if used last Saturday against C. C. N. Y., Harvard's varsity wrestling team gained equal results last night, as it pounded M. I. T., 33-6, in the Engineers' DuPont Athletic Center.

Although not able to pull off the amazing seven pins it did against C. C. N. Y., the Crimson again managed to score points in every bout but one.

M. I. T. was not as strong as it has been in the last couple of years and its performance against Harvard was plagued by mistakes caused by inexperience. M. I. T. coach Wilfred Chassey's lineup was composed completely of freshmen and sophomores, many of whom were forced up one or two weight classes due to a lack of depth.

"The meet went exactly as I thought it would," Chassey said. "It's just too bad I have to use all these young guys, but I got nobody else. You know, for our guys there just hasn't been enough time to make the adjustment from high school varsity to college varsity."

Harvard coach John Lee took the opportunity against the Engineers to use some individuals who had not seen much action this season. The switches were hardly in evidence as the Crimson racked up three pins, five decisions, and a draw.

"I was pleased with the way we did tonight, this being our last meet before exams and all, but I honestly didn't think we would beat them this bad," Lee said. "We're 8-3 now and we'll be in good shape physically for Cornell early next semester. I honestly think we can win the rest of our meets this season, and take the Ivy League title."

In the opening about, Harvard's Jay Galeski lost a decision at 118 pounds to Joh Backlund. Backlund jumped off to an early lead and stayed in control by riding Galeski very well.

At 126 pounds, Gerry Kahrilas came down a weight class to win his second match in as many tries. He was very fast, looked strong, and picked up two points riding time in disposing of the Engineers' Ed Haley, 10-2.

With the score tied, 3-3, Josh Henson faced Dennis Daley in a rematch of Henson's victory earlier this season at the Greater Boston Tournament. In last night's bout. Henson started quickly and had Daley in a precarious position which could have easily led to a fall.

Henson, like a Roman gladiator, gazed at the Harvard bench awaiting a thumbs up or down verdict to determine the fate of his foe. Unfortunately, the bench had either advanced past this type of ancient strategy or was undecided on whether Daley should be put away, and offered no response.

During the communication breakdown. Daley managed to improve his position by rolling onto his stomach. The maneuver soon was erased as Henson put him back on his back. To the strains of "quit screwing' around, Henson," he then proceeded to pin Daley at 4:08.

Down a weight class at 142 pounds, Jon Peters raised his season's record to 6-2-2 with an excellent performance against Rick Hartman Peters recorded his second pin in a row, disposing of Hartman at 1:57.

Senior Pat Coleman wrestled a typically strong match and destroyed his opponent, 12-3. It was Coleman's tenth win against a loss and a draw. At 158 pounds, Collin Mangrum, completely recovered from a knee injury, shut out his rival, 9-0.

In his first match of the year, senior Bart Harvey won his 167-pound match against a stocky M. I. T. opponent, 7-2. In the final period. Harvey got stronger, controlled his fading foe, and picked up two points riding time.

At 177 pounds, Mark Faller completely dominated M. I. T.'s Dave Sebolt. At the final buzzer, Faller led, 12-5, with most of his points coming on quick takedowns. Rich Starr fought to a 3-3 draw with Bruce Davies at 190 pounds. Both wrestlers tired in the third period that found Starr tying the score with an escape.

Harvard's heavyweight Angelo Marino pinned his opponent in 53 seconds to secure the final points of the match for the Crimson. Tony Rayner and heavyweight Tom Tripp did not compete, as they were studying for exams.