Budget Cuts Hit Lamont Services; Reserve Desk Will Shorten Hours

Lamont Library will respond next term to the financial squeeze on higher education by closing the circulation and reserve book desks at 10 p.m. instead of midnight and the fifth floor poetry room at 5 p.m. instead of 10 p.m.

Douglas W. Bryant, director of the University Library System, said yesterday, "What we're trying to do is devise a means to reduce expenses in areas which will cause the least inconvenience for students."

Reserve books will now be available for overnight circulation after 8 p.m. instead of the 9 p.m. deadline in the past. Lamont will still be open for studying and research until midnight.

Fewer Employees

Theodore G. Alezivos, Lamont Librarian, said that closing the circulation desks two hours earlier will mean a cutback from 12 to five employees behind these desks during those hours. Desk employees are paid $2.40 an hour.

"There is very little circulation after 10 p.m., and that's why we chose to close the desks." Alezivos said. "The decision is strictly a financial one to save personnel money."

Measures have also been taken to cut expenses in Widener. "We used to have a circulation desk at the Mass Ave entrance, but we closed it several months ago. Undoubtedly this inconveniences a lot of people, but it was the most practical way we could find to cut expenses," Bryant said.

Bryant added that there will be no paging service in Widener on weekends next term.

"We hope that the changes will be temporary for next term only, but a final decision can not yet be made," Bryant said.