Winthrop Leads in Winter Sports, Gains on Elliot for Strauss Cup

Undefeated in both basketball and hockey, Winthrop House is dominating the winter intramural standings and appears to be gaining on Eliot House in the race for the Strauss Cup.

Eliot finished the fall sports season with a commanding 35-point lead over second-place Winthrop. But Winthrop presently has the only undefeated "A" league basketball team and is tied for first place with undefeated hockey and "B" league basketball teams.

Entering the exam break, Eliot ranked fourth in basketball and eighth in hockey, but Eliot is gaining some points in the squash league, where its team, 7-1, leads Leverett by one game.

Several Sports Cancelled

Several individual winter sports tournaments will not be held until next term. The swimming, boxing, wrestling, and fencing championships, along with the entire volleyball season, are still to be held and the points from these events could rearrange the total point standings for the Strauss Cup.

Although not at the top of the overall standings with Winthrop and Eliot, Mather has been very successful in the winter standings. Mather is second to Winthrop in the "A" league basketball, is tied for the hockey lead, and is a close third in the squash standings.

"A" Basketball

W L

Winthrop 7 0

Mather 6 1

Leverett 5 1

Eliot 4 2

Quincy 4 2

Dunster 3 2

Kirkland 3 2

Lowell 3 4

Dudley 1 6

Adams 1 7

Radcliffe 0 7